Question for Mappers

Started by
5 comments, last by Aura84 18 years, 10 months ago
Right now I've decided to start mapping with the Unreal Editor, but I'm having some problems. I've taken many tutorials and I feel confident that I can create any enviroment I want. The problem is that I can't come up with an original idea. It's weird because when I first started mapping I felt I had a ton of ideas, but now I can't think of anything unique. Mappers block I guess. I was wondering if everyone goes through a dry spell. Another thing that is starting to get to me is the fact that I forgot what makes a certain map fun.
In Devastation, there is always opportunity.
Advertisement
I'm not too sure this is the correct forum for this. Maybe the Design Forum would be better.
Sorry for being a total lack of help but you might get a better response from there [smile]
I might be wrong. If so, shun me from GDNet society[wink]
Sorry, I'm new so I haven't figured out which specific topics go where. I'm a beginner in terms of mapping so I assumed this was the right spot.
It seems more of a general design question but I can see where you're coming from. If its in the wrong place the mods should move it so no worries [smile]
From my experience this forums for more specific technical problems and questions.
Quote:Original post by Aura84
Another thing that is starting to get to me is the fact that I forgot what makes a certain map fun.

I understand what you mean. When you know how to create something, it's hard to go back and look at what made something fun. Technical information just slips into your head, you want it or not.

As for the block, you could try:
1) Drawing (pen & paper) random stuff.
2) Writing (again, pen & paper) random words/sentences/stuff.
3) Rent some action movies, read some action books. XD
4) Playing a game could help, although it often leads to copying.
5) Do something your friends say is 'fun', and not computer related.
6) Look at CG art (cgtalk.com) that has environments in them.

Absolutely don't:
1) Don't sit in UnrealEd trying to create a map, doing random stuff. Why? Yes, it might give you some mapping experience, but it won't give you new ideas. Besides, it's more often time consuming.
2) Some say music gives you ideas, I say it blocks you from thinking clearly.
3) Don't give up.

Good luck!
Try the forums at http://www.snarkpit.net/ Its a half life and half life 2 mapping site, but Im sure they would have no problem helping you get a few ideas together.
Thanks for the encouragement and the link guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement