VS .NET 2005 impact on game programming?

Started by
22 comments, last by Saruman 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Andrew Russell
Quote:Original post by mattnewport
Here's a direct quote for the claim that VC++ 2005 is the most powerful .NET language: Herb Sutter's VC++ 2005 (and C++/CLI) elevator pitch.

Wow.

ahh that'd be the one I was looking for!
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
In my opinion the only reason for C++'s existence is because it's about as high level as you can go without losing control of the low level detail. If you're using it, it's because you need that low level control, and taking it away only serves to give people a false sense of security.

Not sure I'd agree with that. 90% of the time in C++, I don't want to go that low-level. However the fact that it's possible to do the other 10% without hassles makes it my language of choice. But I'll be thankful for being spared some work most of the time.

For the record, I think C++/CLI looks pretty damn cool.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
So, what are these advanced .NET features, only accessable through managed C++?

BTW: I absolutly agree with you on the 90%/10% thing, ChaosEngine.
I totally agree with the 90%/10% thing as well. This is the reason I have an engine in unmanaged C++, wrapped in managed C++, and write the actual game in C#. Because for 90% of the codebase the speed of C# is even more than I need.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement