VS .NET 2005 impact on game programming?

Started by
22 comments, last by Saruman 18 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I just received my VS .NET 2005 Beta 2 and have been playing around with it. I have been reading and trying out all the new C++ language features, and it's almost like a totally new language!! Things like: gcnew, ^ pointer, % tracking references, generic classes, generic functions in generic classes, interface keyword, abstract and sealed keywords, properties, delegate's, and events, finally keyword to go with try/catch, for each, reflection, the .net framework with all kinds of string, date, etc. api's on and on...wow Do you think all this will have an impact on game programming? The features would make everything so much simpler, but would it be too costly in speed? Thanks.
Advertisement
i think a lot of those were already implemented in VC++ 2003....
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Many of them are C++ .NET features not available in unmanaged code. Some of them are Microsoft-specific. Some of them are mis-features and shouldn't be used anyway.

Personally I can't see any real reason to use C++ .NET (Maybe there is one, but I don't know what it is) - you may as well just use C#

And as far as games are concerned - no, these are not ground-breaking things, they don't make the process of making a game ANY different. Adding a few new minor features to the language doesn't change anything about how things are done.

Mark
I've used C++ .NET for various tools in my office instead of C# (which I would prefer to use) because that way I can directly include game side .H files for enums, etc. Duplicating those enums or defines in C# apps can be a nasty headache keeping them in sync.
Most of that is only applicable in "Managed C++", and that basically _is_ a new language. =)

I don't think it will have an impact on game programming. It is possible that some windows-only-games will use those features, but that's hardly an impact.
Quote:I don't think it will have an impact on game programming. It is possible that some windows-only-games will use those features, but that's hardly an impact.

Well, Windows and XBOX. I could see a lot of games being released for those two platforms only, and still have a huge market. How many mac only gamers are there? Relatively very few..., not too many cross-platform games either, at least that I know of.

Quote:And as far as games are concerned - no, these are not ground-breaking things, they don't make the process of making a game ANY different. Adding a few new minor features to the language doesn't change anything about how things are done.

And it wouldn't change the PROCESS of making games, it would just make it easier. Especially the managed memory part. And utility stuff like String::Format so you dont have to rewrite all the redundant functions yourself.
For heaven's sake, when will people realize that "managed memory" is not an improvement but rather a step back?!
Quote:Original post by Chris81
Quote:I don't think it will have an impact on game programming. It is possible that some windows-only-games will use those features, but that's hardly an impact.

Well, Windows and XBOX. I could see a lot of games being released for those two platforms only, and still have a huge market. How many mac only gamers are there? Relatively very few..., not too many cross-platform games either, at least that I know of.

There's no .NET runtime for the Xbox and nor is there ever likely to be now. Perhaps the Xbox 360 will get the .NET runtime at some point but it doesn't have it at the moment. There are a lot of cross platform games if you include the consoles - plenty of titles ship on at least Xbox and PS2, with many also shipping on GC and PC as well.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
For heaven's sake, when will people realize that "managed memory" is not an improvement but rather a step back?!

Worst post ever!!

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
He has a point though, however obliquely made. If you are very concerned about memory management then you probably shouldn't be using C++ anyway, as there are plenty of other great languages that offer such features but without tacking them crudely on as an afterthought.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement