Sign in to follow this  

C++ File I/O Replace **PLEASE HELP**

This topic is 4584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to change certain lines in a text file and I can't seem to find any resource which will tell me how to do this in c++. I've read all about how to read and write but how do you delete a line in a text file and replace it? - GildeD [Edited by - GildeD on May 24, 2005 5:31:33 PM]

Perhaps this will phrase it better. I know how to write things to a file. I know how to read a file. But I can find Nothing on removing a line and replacing it. In fact i find nothing on removing at all.

Can someone please help?

- GildeD

You can open a file read-write but I'm not sure if you can shorten a file this way. Rather, what you want to do is either:

1. Read the file into memory, close it, make the changes, and then write over the original file.

2. Rename the file, then open that file for reading and the original filename for writing, and copy line-by-line doing your replace until they're done. Then you erase the renamed file.

The replace operation is basically, read a line from the file or from memory, compare it to the line you want. If it isn't it, copy it, otherwise copy your replacement string, and continue.

usually you would read in the file and write out a new one.

you could do it a line at a time.

create new file
open original file
read in a line
write out the line to the new file
change the old filename to something else
change the new filename to the old filename
once everything is done okay delete the old file

This topic is 4584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.