Simple function returns junky string

Started by
11 comments, last by silvia_steven_2000 18 years, 11 months ago
(1) why does the function below returns a junk string instead of "123" ?! const char* getChar() { char buf[5]; sprintf(buf, "%d", 123); std::string s = buf; return s.c_str(); } (2) how to make the function return the string as wchar_t ? thanks for your help
Advertisement
Ask yourself what happens to the local function variable std::string s when you exit from the function and function scope?

Hint: s gets stored on the stack when the function begins.

Hint2: s.c_str() points to memory within the s variable

Quote:Original post by silvia_steven_2000
(1) why does the function below returns a junk string instead of "123" ?!

because "s" is a local variable and is automatically deleted when the function's scope ends.

Quote:Original post by silvia_steven_2000
(2) how to make the function return the string as wchar_t ?

std::string is a type alias for std::basic_string which is class template typedef'ed with char and defaults to using std::char_traits<char>, there exists another type alias for wchar_t known as std::wstring.
I got it, any suggested solution for (1) and (2) ?
thanks
(1) a. use global variables
or b. declare your local variables as static

(2)
You need to convert the string to unicode first. Standard C library function "mbtowc" does it.
An example:

static wchar_t wbuf[5];
mbtowc(wbuf,buf,5);
return wbuf;
Return a std::string instead of char *. Or std::wstring (I think it,s the right name), if you want wide-chars.
Quote:Original post by persil
Return a std::string instead of char *. Or std::wstring (I think it,s the right name), if you want wide-chars.

Quoted for being the right answer. Do the conversion on the receiving end, and only if you really have to. Better yet, stick with std::string basically everywhere else in your program, and wrap calls to library functions expecting/returning char*. For example:

char* LibraryFunction(char* input);// possibly modifies the pointed-to data, but obviously cannot change the 'input'// pointer itself, since it's a C function and thus there's no pass-by-ref.std::string wrapper(std::string& input) {  // create a mutable copy of the string data  char* tmp = new char[input.length() + 1];  // If the library function ends up writing beyond that allocation, then it's  // the library's fault :P Meanwhile, std::strings can contain embedded \0's,  // but the library probably wouldn't handle those properly *regardless*.  strcpy(tmp, input.c_str());  // Call function on the buffer and save result  char * result = LibraryFunction(tmp);  // Wrap both buffers into strings and return appropriately  input = tmp;  return std::string(result);}
declaring the variable as static works fine and makes the function return a non junk value but still I can not convert the char* to wchar_t*. how is that done ?

I tried this but it did not work:

static wchar_t wbuf[5];
mbtowc(wbuf, buf,5);
return wbuf;

basically I need to do :

wchar_t* x = convert_to_wide_char("my title")
SetWindowTextW(x)

"mbtowc" converts only a single character into unicode format. To covert a sequence of chars use "mbstowcs". Sorry for this mistake. (Their names are so similar.) Use

static wchar_t wbuf[5];
mbstowcs(wbuf, buf,5)
SetWindowTextW(wbuf)

This should work.
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a bad thing if that variable is static and consumes memory throughout the whole program whether you use the function once or twice?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement