Sign in to follow this  

Volume Textures.

This topic is 4585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Been going over the perlin noise explosion demo in the nVidia SDK, and things are going OK on the 2D level. However, when I try to make the move to 3D using volume textures (they add each octave of noise from a volume texture in the frag program) I get garbage. From what I understand I should be using the vert positions, unmodified, as texture coords for my volume texture. Am I missing something? Unfortunately the documentation on volume textures is nearly non-existent.

OK, it would seem that volume textures are 0.0f - 1.0f bounded just like 2D textures, plus I had the W texture component set to clamp. This means that the examples I've seen using raw positions as volume texture lookups either had small models, or were performing some texture matrix multiplication that I just wasn't seeing.

Now I'm having to deal with some serious problems with wrapping and the fact that my noise texture doesn't tile gracefully. It looks loads worse in 3D.

This topic is 4585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.