*(int *) 0 = 0;
     }
     catch(...)
     {
          cout << "Exception" << end;
     }

return 0;
}

This code is supposed to fail. It should cause an access violation. I'm using Windows XP Pro and Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. I believe that instead of throwing a C++ exception, it is throwing a c managed exception (or a seh windows exception). I'm looking to see if there is a portable way to actually catch this exception. I'm pretty sure in Windows I can use the _set_se_handler function to basically reroute the exception and throw my own c++ style exception, but again that doesn't seen very portable. Any ideas? [edit] It should compile successfully, but as the one real line of code is executed, it should cause an acess violation.

Anon Mike    1098
C++ exceptions are very different things than OS exceptions like AV's. For OS exceptions you need to use __try/__except/__finally instead of try/catch.

For older version of MSVC using catch(...) to catch OS exceptions used to kinda-sorta work maybe. It doesn't work at all with newer versions.

Zahlman    1682
Under POSIX, you can register handlers for such exceptions with signal(). A bad pointer access normally generates a "segmentation fault" exception, which carries the id (integer constant value) SIGSEGV.

MaulingMonkey    1728
Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
Under POSIX, you can register handlers for such exceptions with signal(). A bad pointer access normally generates a "segmentation fault" exception, which carries the id (integer constant value) SIGSEGV.

My signal(2) manpage states this "conforms to" ANSI C - which I believe means it's standard to that - makes no mention of POSIX like most POSIX standard functions.

On "broken" systems (like my MinGW one) SIGSEGV dosn't appear to be defined - manually definining it as 11 gets it to work on Windows XP Home, from my signal(7) linux manpage which states the value of SIGSEGV as 11 - it also appears that SIGSEGV == 11 is a POSIX.1 standard.

Example:

#include <cassert>
#include <csignal>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

#define SIGSEGV 11

void sigsegv_handler( int signal )
{
assert( signal == SIGSEGV );
cout << "Oh sh**" << endl;
}

int main ( int argc , char ** argv )
{
//Setting a signal handler:
sighandler_t old_signal_handler = signal( SIGSEGV , sigsegv_handler );

//Having fun being evil:
*(int *)0 = 0;
cout << "This will never be printed, since this thread gets killed."
<< "However, \"Oh sh**\" will be, in the signal handler. Cool eh :)"
<< endl;

//Restoring a signal handler:
signal( SIGSEGV , old_signal_handler );
}

There's also a SEH patch for GCC floating around out there, 3.4 branch IIRC, although a quick google search didn't find good results on the first page (my internet is being sh**, so I'll leave further searching to the reader)

Anon Mike    1098
Quote:
Original post by Rattrap
__try / __catch are MS specific, aren't they? From what I've been reading, it didn't sound like there was a portable way to do it.

There isn't a fully portable way of doing it no. MSVC doesn't support handling AV's via SIGSEGV. You're really getting into the guts of OS-specific issues when you start talking about handling these sorts of things.