What to use instead of GLUT?

Started by
7 comments, last by Deception666 18 years, 11 months ago
I haven't used a computer much in the past month, and have instead been reading up on my OpenGL Redbook. Before I started, I didn't think I would use the AUX libraries, so I picked up some GLUT tutorials. I only soaked up the basics on making windows with GLUT, but now that I'm trying to compile with it, I get linker errors. I picked it up because it seemed relatively simple, and I didn't feel like putting much time into something like that, and instead spend as much time on OpenGL as possible. So, I don't think I will use GLUT. I've read it's also slow and isn't that great. Next thing that comes to mind is SDL. I'm not a big linux junkie, but I like cross platform stuff. And licenses don't matter, I won't be making profit anytime soon... so what do all of you use?
Advertisement
SDL is fun (lot's of stuff in my sig) [smile] I am using Ogre3D at the moment though for a game.

[edit]Whoops took out my sig [lol]

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on May 24, 2005 8:08:11 PM]
I've never used SDL, but I have used GLFW. It is quite flexible and it's cross platform. Check it out.
Ah, I didn't know of GLFW. Seems to be what I am searching for. Before I chose GLUT way back when, SDL was my primary choice. But I found it hard to find information on how to use it as a framework to OpenGL rather than a graphics library on it's own.

Good, I've tried it quickly and it and the keyboard input works as far as I need for now. Thanks++
What you might want to give a try if you're using a standards compliant compiler is my own framework Daedalus. You can download the source from here. It compiles under Windows using the VC++Express Beta (1/2) and under Linux with make (you'll need to change a few lines in the Makefiles). It currently supports windowed and fullscreen apps, all the usual stuff you can do with windows (on Windows at least, working on Linux, should be done after this weekend). It is very easy to use input from keyboard (mouse is in the final stages of refactoring).

For some example code to setup a window and bind some keys see my journal

[Edited by - rick_appleton on May 25, 2005 4:07:37 AM]
I actually noticed that when doing loads of searches on the subject. That and another member's framework; OGLFWF I think it was, and I forget the name of the guy but he has the ghost icon. I was considering trying yours and that out but I figured they weren't as well documented as things like GLFW (which I am coming along nicely with). So, Daedalus works only with versions of VC++? I have the one you said, but my IDE of choice is DevC++. If it doesn't work with that, then I won't really do much more than fool around with it.
Quote:Original post by alien3456
OGLFWF I think it was, and I forget the name of the guy but he has the ghost icon.

_the_phantom_ [wink]
Hi, thanks for the comments.

Yes, GLFW is definately better commented as it is at a much further stage of development. It's pretty stable and works well. However, it is only a Framework. So that means you'll need to handle most of the stuff yourself, only GLFW gives you an interface that works on all platforms. A large part of my platform specific code was taken from GLFW so it is partially the same, but Daedalus adds another layer over the top (most notably a C++ class for the windowing, a messaging scheme, and the possibility to bind a function to each keyboard key, and more is in the pipeline).

It should work with DevC++ as well, as long as the compiler can handle templates well. There are a few places in Daedalus that really need that. If you are willing and have the time, I would be very interested in hearing if you've been able to compile it under DevC++. I expect it shouldn't be a problem actually, since under the hood DevC++ normally uses the same GCC compiler as is used on *nix systems. And the program compiles without a hitch on those.

[Edited by - rick_appleton on May 26, 2005 1:28:52 AM]
You could try making your own simple framework to develop in. This is what I did. I wasn't that keen on using GLUT and I didn't want to start learning an engine just quite yet, so I coded up one real quick. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. It's always a great learning experience when you do it yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement