What is the best game to start off making?

Started by
16 comments, last by tehMatthewJ 18 years, 10 months ago
A friend and I have gained interest in game developing. I was wondering what type of game we should make for our first one. It doesnt have to be totally easy because we're up for the challenge ^_^. Thanks!
Advertisement
mostly a 2d game will teach the most and be easier to make.

id recomend making a 2d shooter, either side scroll or top scroll.
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
Tetris, Robotron / llamatron, or any one screen classic arcade games are fairly easy to make and a good starting point.
I just recently made a Pac-Man clone. I've been programming for quite a while now, and yet it was still by no means trivial. Games by nature are rather complex, so really anything you decide to work on will be challenging. (Yes, there are some exceptions.) Whatever you decide, remember to take the time to do some designing because you'd be surprised how quickly things become complex. And above all else, try to stick with anything you start. That's about all I can say really. Good luck!
I would say something simple like "Memory". Pretty simple. Gives you a chance to understand how to draw some basic shapes (rects) to the screen while accepting user input. Depending on how you do it, it may or may not require an explicit game loop though. (It could be event driven.) This could be good or bad, depending on where you head from there. A game loop is typically used by most games, so it could help you to try to incorporate that in your first game...
In order:

> Tic-tac-toe
> A better tic-tac-toe
> Tetris
> Pac-man
> Space-invaders-clone
> Better Space Invaders Clone
> Worms Clone
> 3D Tetris
> 3D Pacman
> 3D Space Shooter
> Simple FPS
> Hockey MMORPG
-Scoot
Quote:Original post by ScootA
In order:

> Tic-tac-toe
> Pong
> A better tic-tac-toe
> Tetris
> Pac-man
> Space-invaders-clone
> Worms Clone
> 3D Tetris
> 3D Pacman
> 3D Space Shooter
> Simple FPS
> Hockey MMORPG

- Jason Astle-Adams

You should always do whatever you feel like doing.

You'll need a lot of motivation and that you're only getting by doing whatever interests you. Remember you'll be doing this in your spare time. It has to be fun!

Good luck.
-----------------------------Amma
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote:Original post by ScootA
In order:

> Tic-tac-toe
> Pong
> A better tic-tac-toe
> Tetris
> Pac-man
> Space-invaders-clone
> Worms Clone
> 3D Tetris
> 3D Pacman
> 3D Space Shooter
> Simple FPS
> Hockey MMORPG

Im thinking maybe pong should go between tic-tac-toe-2 and tetris- there is a huge leap between TTT and anything game-like though, so pong is a worthy addition in there...
-Scoot
I'm working on Pong at the moment (my 4th attempt - 4th time lucky?).

It's probably very dull for most people, but it's important that you do it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement