Lesson21 NeHe Tutorial

Started by
5 comments, last by GosuDrew 18 years, 11 months ago
Should the speed of the green thing that moves accross the grid slow down as more blocks are colored in? I'm trying to decide whether or not my computer can handle simple OpenGL apps. This program was choppy when I ran it with the default Microsoft driver. However, I installed some other one and now the movement is smooth but it slows down as more blocks are added. Is this normal? If not, I guess I need a new laptop with a much better video card.
Advertisement
yes, tested on a ATI 9600. never slowed down. it actually gets faster. i find it hard to believe you're taking a performance hit from a 2D example, i'd hate to see a 3D game on that card. but i know how crappy some of the consumer cards are, so i guess you need to invest a bit of cash before doing anything 3D.
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 with an 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility M1 video card. Is this a decent card?
aeh ... nope :)

... but i think that it should be sufficient for lesson21. But maybe antialiasing takes away performance... just a thought.
I doubt that card has ever heard of AA, and therefore, if it is doing it, its doing it through software.

As a note, you don't actually "Download OpenGL." If your card supports it, your card's implimentation of it will be provided with the latest drivers.

For example, I had OpenGL 1.5, until I upgraded to the latest ATI Catalyst drivers, and the implimentation got upgraded to OpenGL 2.0. I find many people expect OpenGL to be like DirectX, where you have to download it seperatly from MS. :P
hoLogramm's got it right. Anti-aliasing of lines has a noticable affect on my 64MB GeForce2 (tends to halve the FPS with a few lines), and polygon anti-aliasing is far worse (1 anti-aliased triangle = <1 FPS, 50,000 normal triangles = 30-60 fps). Beyond that, it shouldn't cause any problems.
I tested two new drivers that improved the performance, but fullscreen mode does not work right for either of them. Only if I create the window to be 1024x768 does the entire screen get used. Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement