Best Programming Language?

Started by
21 comments, last by rpg_code_master 18 years, 10 months ago
Sometimes I play d&d as the master. And for developing the game my language of choice is english. :)
please flame > /dev/null
[ILTUOMONDOFUTURO]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by sand_man
COBOL rox0rz

it is the best for writing uber fast games

Don't listen to him! He's evil, EVIL I TELLS YA!!!

Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
HQ9+
Dolphins - The sharks of the sea.
Quote:Original post by Raeldor
Is C++ still the language of choice for game developers? What about the new managed stuff for windows like C# or managed C++? I understand there is a managed version of DirectX now too. Will software houses be moving over to this, or is c++ too embedded now?

Also, as far as cross-platform engines go for console gaming etc. should OpenGL be the API of choice or DirectX, or do most cross platform engines have an abstraction layer for each that maintains a consistent API by being able to plug in either an OpenGL or DirectX version of that layer?

Thanks all

You can have a look at this comparison at TIOBE.

Since 28% is using C/C++ which is more than any other language by a very large margin it is safe to say that C/C++ is definately the way to go if you care about which is more popular. But as two Swedish comedians said (Tage Danielsson & Hasse Alfredsson) "There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics!" :)

So interpret it anyway you like. I really don't care which is more popular. I like C/C++/Assembler and I don't care if anybody thinks we should use C# "because it is (insert superlatives)" *sighs*

Use the language *you* feel most comfortable with. Once you know a language well, learning another is fairly easy.
No no no no! :)
Quote:Original post by happybara
HQ9+

I've written a parser:

/*a HQ9+ parser. Use it to make good game*/#include <stdio.h>const char helloworld[] = "Hello, world!";const unsigned int bottles = 99;unsigned long theaccumulator = 0;void feature_H(FILE* file){   printf("%s\n", helloworld);}void feature_Q(FILE* file){   char ch;   long int back = ftell(file);   fseek(file, 0, SEEK_SET);   while((ch = fgetc(file)) != EOF)      fputc(ch, stdout);   fputc('\n', stdout);   fseek(file, back, SEEK_SET);}void feature_9(FILE* file){   unsigned int cont = bottles;   while(cont > 0)   {      printf("%d bottle%sof beer on the wall,\n"      "   %d bottle%sof beer.\n"      "   Take one down, pass it around,\n",      cont, cont > 1 ? "s ":" ", cont, cont > 1 ? "s ":" ");      --cont;      if(cont == 0) printf("   no more bottles of beer on the wall.\n\n");      else printf("   %d bottle%sof beer on the wall.\n\n", cont, cont > 1 ? "s ":" ");   }}void feature_PLUS(FILE* file){   ++theaccumulator;}int main(int argc,char *argv[]){   FILE* filein;   char ch;   if(argc == 1)   {      fprintf(stderr,"Usage: %s filename.hq9+\n",argv[0]);      return 1;   }   filein = fopen(argv[1], "r");   if(!filein)   {      fprintf(stderr,"Cannot open input file\n");      return 1;   }   fseek(filein, 0, SEEK_SET);   while((ch = fgetc(filein)) != EOF)   {      switch(tolower(ch))      {         case 'h':            feature_H(filein);            break;         case 'q':            feature_Q(filein);            break;         case '9':            feature_9(filein);            break;         case '+':            feature_PLUS(filein);            break;         default:            fprintf(stderr, "Parser error: invalid (%c) instruction", ch);            fclose(filein);            return 1;      }   }   fclose(filein);   return 0;}

[grin] [grin] [grin]
[ILTUOMONDOFUTURO]
TCL! http://wiki.tcl.tk

Okay, but seriously, learn whatever languages you want but learn them well. It's more important to understand the programming concepts because you could end up using anything at work.

I'm employed in a consultancy role and our company uses TCL for client side configuration (VB was not an option at the time), Java and C++ for the product and wrapper code. We also have our own custom scripting languages for modifying the products.

It took me about two weeks to get to grasps with TCL, yes it's very basic but that's not the point, because I have a good idea of how to program. I'm now moving in to a new role and got asked whether I was better at C++ or Java and seeing as I said C++ they're making me do Java work :0) I don't mind at all though as it's another feather under my cap/string to my bow.

C++ is a good language to learn because it covers nearly all the key concepts that you'll find in other languages with the big one being Object Orientated Programming. You should however always use the tool appropriate to the job, do you really want to write cgi scripts in c when you can use something a lot simpler and designed for the task?
I'm sorry, but the best programming language is HTML with CSS, you can even make a n awesome hockey game with it, one like the ones EA makes.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I'm sorry, but the best programming language is HTML with CSS, you can even make a n awesome hockey game with it, one like the ones EA makes.

You can toss out atari+ quality games in hours instead of years, and all you need to play is a capable web browser! No download or compiling required [wink]

I wish I still had that old space invaders clone I made. Had full collision detection and about 50 enemy ships moving independently :)
Is C++ still the language of choice for game developers? What about the new managed stuff for windows like C# or managed C++? I understand there is a managed version of DirectX now too. Will software houses be moving over to this, or is c++ too embedded now?
AFAIK C/C++ are the only languages with (decent) compilers for the Sony PS2, MS XBOX & Nintendo GameCube. You'd kind of expect MS to support .net in the next XBox but game developers making a game for PS3 & XBox2 want to write it once, not have a C++ PS3 version and .net XBox2 version.

Since the games industry == console games to a large degree, C++ rules until consoles support something better/different. And that's unlikely to just be another language, only a more useful language. Java/C# are the obvious choices but getting a compiler on all consoles is a major undertaking.

As others have pointed out C++ is still the language of choice for game development since C and C++ are the only languages widely supported on the major console platforms. That's not likely to change any time soon - managed languages aren't ideally suited to platforms with strictly limited memory due to their somewhat unpredictable memory usage.
Quote:
Also, as far as cross-platform engines go for console gaming etc. should OpenGL be the API of choice or DirectX, or do most cross platform engines have an abstraction layer for each that maintains a consistent API by being able to plug in either an OpenGL or DirectX version of that layer?

OpenGL is no better than DirectX for cross-platform engines for consoles - there's no OpenGL support on the GameCube or PS2 whereas versions of DirectX are supported on the Xbox and the PC. The PS3 will use a variant of OpenGL ES and the Xbox 360 will use a variant of DX9 so cross-platform engines will likely continue to use an abstraction layer that supports a platform specific rendering back end (which may be neither OpenGL or DirectX). Console games usually take advantage of special knowledge of the underlying graphics hardware that you don't have on the PC.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement