DigiPen vs. FullSail

Started by
10 comments, last by Telastyn 18 years, 10 months ago
This is not a post on weather or not I should go to a game design school. I have figured this is what I want to do with my life. In which case I have come to another fork in the road. DigiPen or FullSail. DigiPen: Pros: - Cheaper - Better Rep (I think) - Goes Farther Back than FullSail (more expirence) Cons: - Very Far Away (It's in Washington State and I am in Floida) - Unfamiliar Area FullSail: Pros: - Cheaper - Better Knowledge Of How It Runs It's Courses - Closer Cons: - More Expensive - Known For Being More Trouble Than It's Worth I guess I am just looking for some personal opinions from you guys. Anything would be great. Thanks.
------Signature------Inspiring young coder/programmer!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by whitin

I guess I am just looking for some personal opinions from you guys. Anything would be great. Thanks.

In my personal opinion, you'd be better off going to a 4 year university with a good computer science curriculum, and plenty of students of the opposite sex. I also [in hindsight] think it's... "uncommon" for anyone to know what they want to do with their life [and be right!] before attending college.

ever heard of UAT? that's one of my choices after high school unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Neither. I second what Telastyn wrote. A four-year degree from a well-known university in a relevant subject is worth much more than a degree from Digipen or Full Sail, even in the video game industry. What if you can't find a job making video games (it's not a easy job to find) or what if (god forbid) you change your mind? You will be end up with a worthless degree and working at Walmart.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
though few here have been to either one of those and even fewer (probably none) have gone to both, DigiPen seems like the better choice with pros and cons. Their senior and junior projects look OK. Still doesn't seem worth it though.

I once looked into FullSail and knew a few people there. They said that the courses were too fast.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
In my personal opinion, you'd be better off going to a 4 year university with a good computer science curriculum, and plenty of students of the opposite sex. I also [in hindsight] think it's... "uncommon" for anyone to know what they want to do with their life [and be right!] before attending college.

I, being one of the 'uncommoners' that Telastyn has mentioned, whole heartedly agrees with what he's said (and appreciates the humor as well [wink]). I think that it is more important to go to a 4 year college/university with a good curriculum and at least get your B.Art/B.Sci (B.Sci if you are serious about computer stuff) and then specialize afterwards.

Fullsail I know, from all the fliers I got when I was interested in them a few years back, is more of a speciality school. Yes it's more focused and expensive, but what if down the line, you just can't get going? Then you are stuck with whatever you get from F.S. and have no Degree to get a job with. I think if you are interested in game programming and stuff, there are plenty of more opportunities for it, it's just you are more on your own with it.

Of course it's something you have to decide on, but if you are interested in comingto Texas, SMU has a GuildHall that is kind of like the FullSail/DigiPen for Texas. It's still growing and is nowhere close to that of FullSaild and DigiPen though, but it is located near Dallas, where a lot of people go to work for game compaines afterwards. iD's right by in Dallas [smile] as well as many other companies all across Texas.

Me? I'm going to Univ of Texas at Dallas to get my degree - to which depending on what I do in the next 4 years will determine wheter I want to go to a school such as DigiPen or FullSail. I think game development is something that it's more of a learned process though experience than just being taught. I know those two schools teach though experience, but hey for that much money, you can do a lot of more stuff on your own and around GameDev and still learn! Ahh decisions, decisions... Good luck deciding! Just think of the future really.
From Digipen, you can get a bachelor's in computer engineering or master's in computer science. Isn't that worth anything?
"From Digipen, you can get a bachelor's in computer engineering or master's in computer science. Isn't that worth anything?"

For a non-video game employer, it's not worth much. A lot of corporate employers will see it having the relative value of an AA degree from a community college or a tech certificate from one of the grindhouses - ITT, Heald, DeVry, etc.

There are no short-cuts, the sooner you learn that the faster you will succeed.
Quote:Original post by andyZER0
From Digipen, you can get a bachelor's in computer engineering or master's in computer science. Isn't that worth anything?

Ok thanks for saying that, I was not aware of those avaliable plans. CE and CS are good, so yes, they are worth something [wink] I'm going for something in Software Engineering, not sure what yet [lol].
Humor? </feigned confusion> Hey, at that age, students of the opposite sex are pretty important! That [5-1 M/F ratio] was one of the larger influences of my educational experience. College isn't all about learning a trade. Indeed, the majority of things you learn aren't learnt in the classroom.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement