Efficient Distance Calculation?

Started by
25 comments, last by Charles B 18 years, 10 months ago
No idea why you'd have to compute distances every frame, but in any case either don't use sqrt like others said, or there are ways of approximating sqrt, which I dare not go into.
Advertisement
You may also be advised to look at your design and to why your execution is O(N^N)

[I'm assuming you actually did mean exponential rather than something like O(N^2)]

You can achieve a lot by saving the results of distance computations (the old space vs execution time trade-off).
you could try an approximate distance/sqrt algorithm.
You could try changing your design so that more of the calculations take place on the client side, e.g distances to static or slow moving objects.
I heard somewhere that using double now is actually faster than using floats on modern computers.

Is this true?

Hey, im new here and im a junior programmer pretty much, but i did some projects for mathematic calculators and collision detection....i know that newton had a very efficient method of solving square roots.....i also have a method, im not sure if its as fast as you'd like but the good thing about it is that u can give it the accuracy you want. If you need the code i'll be glad to share
I heard somewhere that using double now is actually faster than using floats on modern computers.

Is this true?

i beleive this is true only on 64 bit processors with 64 bit o/s's
Quote:Original post by lunar-blue
Hey, im new here and im a junior programmer pretty much, but i did some projects for mathematic calculators and collision detection....i know that newton had a very efficient method of solving square roots.....i also have a method, im not sure if its as fast as you'd like but the good thing about it is that u can give it the accuracy you want. If you need the code i'll be glad to share

Newton refinement approximation:
answer = (value/answer + answer) / 2;
It's not as efficient as a sqrt done in hardware, I bet. Division is pretty slow.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
If you are doing collision testing, there are much better ways. (just a guess).

Also note, you are missing abs's in your distance formula

tmpa = x1 - x2; tmpb = y1 - y2; out = tmpa + tmpb; outa = tmpa - tmpb; r = roa + rob; //Set collision boundries, roa = Radius of object a, same for robr *= r; //Square the other side of the equasion. ra = -r;if (out > r) | (outa < ra) {    //Collision}

This works out about equal to

if (sqrt(abs(x1 - x2) * abs(x1 - x2) + abs(y1 - y2) * abs(y1 - y2))) > r {}

Just probably a bit faster for it.

You could also try using integers instead of floats. (unless you really need them).

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Ok, so if you're having that big O n^n problem you should use an oct-tree or break up your space into sectors and give each of them an oct-tree.

Also, you can use a combination of dirty distance methods and accurate ones. So I'd say use something really dirty for most distances, but once you get close(like for a collision or something) re-calc for something more accurate.

Dirty method one: The octagon
// perfect on the axis, 18% average error
// 8+ times faster
// assuming all numbers are positive, or changed to be... x = abs(x);
d = 0.5*(x + y + ... + max(x, y, ..)); // generally
d = 0.5*(x + y + (x>y)?x:y); // c++ish 2d case

Dirty method two: Know your floating point, EDIT: this is for 32bit float
// perfect for powers of 2, 1.8% average error
// 6+ times faster
union{float f[2]; // store your x, y & z
unsigned int i[2];};// temp
i[0] <<= 1;
i[1] <<= 1;
i[0] -= 0x3F800000;
i[1] -= 0x3F800000;
f[0] += f[1];
i[0] += 0x3F800000;
i[0] >>= 1;
// f[0] is your final distance

EDIT: unless you're squaring complex numbers(normal float doesn't support) then you don't need to abs() your displacements (x1-x2)... we forgive him, the hour is late...

I see through the lies of the Jedi... to learn the true power of the code one must look at both sides and find their true power!

[Edited by - ismakefire on June 4, 2005 4:07:57 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement