Worms 2D type movement

Started by
2 comments, last by paulecoyote 18 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I am currently in the design proccess of a worms type [2D projectile war] game and am stuck where it comes to some of the movement techniques of the players. As for now I plan making the terrain as basic as possible [to make AI and calculations easier] - a bunch of horizontal platforms each 50 to 300 pixels wide on a scrolling screen. The different players will be placed on the platforms and unlike worms that use ninja ropes to travel from and to terrains not of same elevation I'm looking for different ways that will allow the player, whether a tank, a car or a normal person to get from platform A to B. Can anyone help me find a method that is simpler both for player control and for AI [the ninja rope is slow and AI problematic - I'm looking for something quicker yet not too efficient]? Thanks in advance, Ori
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
Advertisement
Maybe you could use the "magic carpet ride" moving platform? I'd post a pic, but I've been unable to track one down.

I'm sure you've seen this one before, but here's how it goes:
Platform A on the left, Platform B on the right. The Magic Carpet platform hovers in the air and is in continuous motion back and forth between the two.

Or you could make it where the Magic Carpet is stationed at one side or the other, and the player activates it by pressing a button on a console at the edge of each platform.

Is that at all like the kind of mobility you are talking about?
-----
Thanks!
That could be used as well, although I'm talking more about player dependant movement - meaning the player could carry such a floating platform device in his inventory and plant it when needed in order for him or his allied players to move along.
Definitely a possibility [These words are so diplomatic together ;p).
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
teleporting, jumping, jetpacks, wormcanon (worm gets in to cannon and shoots itself to new location), erm, bird-drop (bird picks up in beak, then flys around until player tells bird to drop)... erm...

hey I quite like those ideas if I don't say so myself. Say hi to me in your about dialog if that was useful! [wink]
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement