[.net] Distribution Compatability Problems

Started by
5 comments, last by Saruman 18 years, 10 months ago
I am making a game with C# and DirectX 9. It's getting very close to being finished, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to get it working on all computers. As far as I understand it, each computer needs only DX9 and the .NET framework installed and it should work, but it rarely does. Placing all of the .dll files that it uses in the root directory of the game has also helped in the past, but isn't working very well anymore. Has anyone else had problems like this and found a sure-fire solution to get it working? I want to be more confident it will work for everyone before I distribute it. Thanks for any help you can give me, Rajiv
Advertisement
Before the April DX SDK you would have to manually install MDX by using the /InstallManagedDX switch on the command line, which rarely happened. What I found to be best was to compile against the April 2005 SDK and then use that redistributable which actually installs the managed extentions on its own and properly. I haven't had a problem since using it yet.

Please note that 'having DX9' on a computer does not mean 'having managed DX9' because until the April redistributable the managed extentions did not install by default.

For the .NET framework I use the bootstrapper to make sure it is there and installed.
Thank you very much for your reply; It sounds like that will solve all of my problems. But what's a bootstrapper?
Sorry I should have gave the link: Visual Studio Bootstrapper. Basically it will check for the framework and install it if needs be.
Oh an just FYI, if you didn't want to switch DirectX SDK versions you could always use the DirectX redistributable with the command line switch /InstallManagedDX (the redistributable version that you compiled your solution against) and you would be fine. I just prefer the latest April release due to fixes and simplicity of installation.
Awesome. Thanks for your assistance!!
np Good luck with it, post if you have any other probs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement