SDL for all but graphics

Started by
4 comments, last by Roots 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi; I wanted to know if there was an easy way to use SDL for all its glory without having to deal with its display window at all. I do not want to use an SDL window for my application, redoing all that has already been done in a traditional window handle. Any ideas? marty78
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by marty78
Hi;
I wanted to know if there was an easy way to use SDL for all its glory without having to deal with its display window at all. I do not want to use an SDL window for my application, redoing all that has already been done in a traditional window handle.

Any ideas?

marty78

What's wrong with the windowing stuff?
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Just use SDL_Init without SDL_INIT_VIDEO?
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
Quote:Original post by supercoder74

It really all depends on what you are doing instead. For example, if you want to use D3D with SDL, you still need SDL_INIT_VIDEO. If you use Ogre though SDL, you still need to use SDL_INIT_VIDEO.

marty78, how are you going to use SDL without video? I mean in what context?
You might be interested in the latest article: SDL with DirectX 9.0 by Michael.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by supercoder74

The SDL video subsystem also contains all user input event management as well, so you won't be able to process user input without it. The only things left to you would be SDL's audio subsystem, threading, timers, networking, and a few other small things.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement