Project Ideas!

Started by
3 comments, last by Zimbo 18 years, 10 months ago
Im a high school student and I'm taking an engineering course and right now we're starting a 3-person C++ project. So far we've covered the basics, functions, and arrays. We also did a little work with ascii graphics which isn't much really. I've studied C++ before and am more advanced than the rest of my class but since its a group project, im not sure what we can do. So far for ideas: Tic-Tac-Toe Game RSA encrypter/decrypter Maze Game Connect-Four Game Tetris Game if anyone has any ideas or comments, theyd be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance
Advertisement
Text based RPG (ala GameTutorials.com) looks like a nice thing to start with, especially if you might move on to networking or something similar (turn into a MUD).

The ideas you put seem quite complicated to me for a project like that, but I never did any computer classes at school (if you saw my code, you'd know that ;)) so I can't really comment on that.
maybe a project on winsock, I program to transfer files between computers shouldn't be too hard. a little research but it should be easy enough.
www.stickskate.com -> check it out, some gnarly stick skating movies
Those ideas seem to cover many aspects of programming ranging from algorithms to simple graphics and logic.

Messing around with encryption is very fun (well, i find it fun anyway [smile]). Don't get to bogged down with it though since some of the things like Blowfish can get very confusing[smile].
I like the idea that someone gave to work with winsock. Its a very simple API when you get down to it but it also gives you alot of flexibility and power:
Winsock FAQ : A definite for anyone starting out on winsock.
If you want a more object orientated approach to network programming look into CSocket and the other socket classes that windows use. Or write your own [wink].

But you seem to have the right idea and thats to keep it simple but has aspects that will be invaluable in programming.

Good luck!
When I was in college, I did a project called RobotWars.
It is a non-interactive ASCII game where 2 or more robots with simple AI compete with each other in a maze filled with pits and treadmills to capture a flag that in the center of the maze.

This was the project for my OOP class. If you are going to do this without OOP experience, I think it will be a good lesson for you to understand why design is very important for software development.

The robot movement in ASCII is this:
North = ^
South = V
West = <
East = >

Have fun.
"You need a long-term goal: keep trying and make a small step every day. Don't give up! Keep going, and that will be the shortcut to success." -- Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy Composer)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement