Sign in to follow this  

Hybrid Game

This topic is 4588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an idea for a hybrid style game. I'm not sure if it's been done but if it hasn't it should be. Heres the basics of my idea for the game. You have a person playing in an RTS mode of the game. They build a base, create units ect. Then you have people playing in an FPS or RPG mode. When the RTS person creates an infantry unit a FPS/RPG person spawns at the barracks. This could make for a very dynamic game play where entire buildings are destroyed, vehicles, and super-weapons play a more pivotal role in the game. I'm not so much asking for feedback on how to program it but if it would be a style of gameplay that you would enjoy. Thanks for your response!

Sounds like an interesting idea, but it seems like you would need a rediculous number of people playing to have a game, which would of course imply a rather large amount of network communication. Perhaps you could elaborate on any methods you might be considering to alleviate those problems (gameplay-wise of course).

Right now it's just a concept, but like any other FPS there would be bots. These bots could take place of a human player at spawn time should there not be somebody ready to join the game. The humans could also be like the leader of a squad of 4 bots or something like that. As for network traffic I think it would be best for the traffic generated on one side to go through the RTS player in your team, then to the RTS player on the opposing team then to the FPS people on the opposing team.

FPS Players<--->RTS Leader<--->RTS Leader<--->FPS Players

I have played two such games just like what you are describing. I liked them very well, except that if the commander (RTS guy in your lingo) didn't know what he/she was doing you were effectively screwed. Thus it's also hard to learn to be a good commander, because people will get so mad at you for ruining their game.

Anyway one of the games I reference is the wildly popular Natural Selection, a mere mod for Half Life. And the second, which I actually liked much more was a little game that got little publicity called Savage.

Edit: warg! beaten :)

I have a questions for you. I've never played NS becuase I'm not a big HL guy. Does the commander in NS have a view like in StarCraft, WarCraft or the Command and Conquer games or is it different in some way? Also there could also be an option to spawn solo or be in a team. You don't have to be dragged down by a bad commander.

This topic is 4588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.