Quake3 BSP Curved Surfaces

Started by
2 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, I wouldn't normally like to interrupt the threads main topic of DirectX but I thought it's best spoken here as its DX I'm having the problem with (I think). I've been trying to render curved surfaces from the Quake3 BSP file format but my polygons come out all crazy such as triangles spanning ridiculous distances across the screen and vertices in stupid places all over the world. I've been using about 5 references (the common Quake3 BSP demos out there on the web) and tried the EXACT code of all samples and still no joy. However, the only difference I've added myself is the renderering of the vertex/index buffer and I feel it might be the way I'm issuing the draw calls to DX. I beg of someone to please show me working code of Quake3 BSP Curved Surfaces in DirectX! Have sympathy, I've been on it for days now :( Thanks, MeshMan
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by MeshMan
I've been trying to render curved surfaces from the Quake3 BSP file format but my polygons come out all crazy such as triangles spanning ridiculous distances across the screen and vertices in stupid places all over the world.

I don't have any code for you, as you asked, but your description quoted above sounds very much like a common issue.

Either you're setting bad data for your vertex/index data, or your FVF/data is incorrect.

You could be submitting invalid params to the draw calls. Obvious as it sounds, but there are a few defaults where it won't fail to render, but it might well render all triangles "attached" to the origin for example [smile]

Set up Direct3D Debugging as it should tell you if you're giving D3D bogus data/instructions. If the D3D debug output doesn't yield anything it's a logic error in your code.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

EXCELLENT!

Enabled Direct3D debugging DLL's and maximum validation and it told me i was giving it a wrong FVF to the size of the actual vertex. So I changed it, and BANG, works!!

Can't tell how joyed I am to see my Quake3 map finally rendering after days of fiddling on the same problem!

Thanks Jack, nice video work in the other thread btw!
EXCELLENT!

Enabled Direct3D debugging DLL's and maximum validation and it told me i was giving it a wrong FVF to the size of the actual vertex. So I changed it, and BANG, works!!

Yay[attention][attention]

Thanks Jack, nice video work in the other thread btw!

Thanks [grin]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement