Need help getting started

Started by
7 comments, last by Drew_Benton 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, Andrew York here. I am working on a game called Wars of Solen. Im wondering if anyone knows any resorces out there for programing in C++ a Real time stratagy game.
Advertisement
no but can you help me get started
no but can you help me get started
It sounds like you don't even know C++ (if I understood your post correctly). If so, I'd suggest trying a basic Hello World C++ program. Then learn a little more about the language, and then try Tic tac toe. That's a start.

[EDIT] Here's a tutorial on C++ for you. link I haven't actually read it, so I don't know if it is any good, but it was Google's first result.

Slaru
ive programed hello world befor. Im not looking to learn c++ just learn what it takes to program a real time stratagy game

Thanks for the link
Quote:Original post by wars_of_solenjust learn what it takes to program a real time stratagy game

It'll take a lot. Most likely more than you have. Therefore, it would be best if you stayed away from actually making that game yet. There may actually be harm in trying at your level (assuming you know no more than Hello World).

How much, exactly, do you know? Do you understand (not just know of) these things:

* 'friend' keyword
* templates
* template specializations (whole- and partial-)
* pointers, and why their faster to pass to functions
* references, and why their safer but not as powerful
* pointer arithmetic, and why it's dangerous
* std::list, std::vector, std::map, etc. and the various std algorithms
* inheritance (single- and multiple-)
* the pitfalls of multiple inheritance
* classes
* member access specifiers (public, private, and protected) and the differences thereof
* vector algebra
* matrix algebra
* finite state machines
* Singleton design pattern
* State design pattern
* Iterator design pattern
* 'volatile' keyword
* why 'goto' is bad
* the stack
* the heap
* memory fragmentation, and why it's bad
* memory pools
* function pointers
* pointers to member functions
* why std::string is better than char*

(sorry, I got kind of carried away with the list!)

If not, I recommend keeping your game idea in your head, and spending the next year or so becoming proficient with a programming language. It seems you chosen C++, so this might be a website which would interest you.

If you aren't very far in learning C++, it should be said that there do exist many other viable programming languages of choice for you, Python being most notable, IMO.

I suggest, if you want to make a game, you first get a primitive understanding of the basic programming concepts and constructs.

Then perhaps something along the lines of Tic-Tac-Toe in a console will be in your reach.

<edit>
If you're already a C++ guru, I apologize! It just sounds from your post that you don't know any C++ at all. And if you don't know any C++ at all, no offense at that last statement!
</edit>
well. I know very little C++. I was hoping to learn C++ programing while designing the game.. does that seem like a good idea? probebly not from your last post. Actualy im a 3d graphic artist, but i cant seem to have any luck finding people to help design wars of solen.. so I figure I might need to program it myself. hrumph.. a rock and a hard place

well thanks for your reply :)
I suggest you do more complex things, like tic-tac-toe or rock-paper-scissors.
Then, when you think you're ready, check out SDL.
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
Quote:Original post by wars_of_solen
I was hoping to learn C++ programing while designing the game.. does that seem like a good idea? probebly not from your last post. Actualy im a 3d graphic artist, but i cant seem to have any luck finding people to help design wars of solen.. so I figure I might need to program it myself. hrumph.. a rock and a hard place

Well here's the problem with that. It's possible, but along the way you will learn how to do things better and will need to make changes. Eventually you will have have to make so many changes, it just will not be worth it. Learning C++ though making a game, I say, is one of the hardest and imo most ill advised thing to try. Simply because making a game is another beast in itself. Heck, a lot of people that know C++ can't even make games [wink]. I'm sure though you can learn it, you just have to be patience and be willing to hold off on making your game first hand.

Then again, to hell with conventions. Don't let anything deter you my friend! As long as you are willing and have the right attitude, and will not give up, go for it then. The more time I spend on these forums, the less I feel that I actualy 'know' C++. Actually at this point, I feel ashamed to say I 'know' C++, for I understand programming procedures, just not all of C++. Right now I am working on a 3D game, do I know anything about that, nope [smile]. So what you need to do, is just find examples of what you are after, study those, and just have fun.

Now though, to be honest, I think real time strategy games are the hardest thing that you could try and make. I mean there are other types of games that sound hard, but there exists a lot of examples and such for them (excluding sim games [wink]). So in this case, knowing C++ is not going to help you make a RTS game in the sense of being able to make the game. It will help so that you know what you are doing and can try to get done what you want, but that's it.

There used to be a great RTS series on the web using DX, but it has long disappeared. The only resoruce I say you can actually study is something called "Machinations". Other than that you are on your own. There are a few books on this series, and lots of articles, but that's about it. Another one is JCraft which is written in java, so you will have to get the theory from that.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement