Beginner's language : Python versus C#

Started by
12 comments, last by smr 18 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Oxyacetylene
Does C# force you to code in an object oriented fashion like Java does?

What is this "force" of which you speak? >:)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Oxyacetylene
Does C# force you to code in an object oriented fashion like Java does? If so, then I'd say that's probably a bad thing for a beginner. While I don't think object oriented programming is a particularly hard concept to grasp, I don't think it's a bad thing to be able to start off coding procedurally.

Actually, OO comes in quite well. At least there is no need for header guarding or other dependency problems.
Quote:Original post by JimPrice
My question is: why Python? What about C# as a beginner’s language? What makes you recommend Python over C#? Are there language complexities / subtleties that make one seem more preferable over another? Is it an issue of documentation? Does PyGame swing the vote? Is it an open-source thing?

I find the dynamic typing in Python to be a significant benefit. And really, Python is just a more powerful language, in terms of the ratio of results to typing. eg:

C#string line;System.IO.StreamReader file = new System.IO.StreamReader("c:\\test.txt");while((line = file.ReadLine()) != null){   Console.WriteLine (line);}Pythonfor line in open("c:\\test.txt"):    print line

I know which I'd prefer.

In fact, the only problem I have with Python is the poor multimedia support. PyGame is barely maintained, the OpenGL package isn't part of the standard library, and there are no DirectX bindings.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
PyGame is barely maintained, the OpenGL package isn't part of the standard library, and there are no DirectX bindings.

The release of pygame 1.7 is coming soon... I do agree that directx bindings would be great, but python developers typically focuses on keeping things cross-platform.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement