Sign in to follow this  
slowpid

Game-Art Pipeline

slowpid    1095
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/comments on how they think a pipeling is best laid out for art and low-poly 3d models in a game. The main quiestions are; - How many team memebers and what type of skills does your pipeling entail - Pipeline structure - timeframe It would be nice if there was consideration for releasing concept art and high-poly renders as media to gain attention/recognition and to help the team members expand their portfolios. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nvision    246
I manage a 2D art team for mobile games, so things will be a little different, but this is how things run...

When concept documentation comes in, the artist in charge of the concept usually has around a week to come up with the initial designs (we also complete mock screenshots).

The concept work and mockups are examined by the Lead Artist (myself) and the other Leads (designer, programmer, producer), and technical details are disucussed. We go over things, like what elements of the concepts are technicaly feasible, what will have to be tweaked/edited/omitted, etc. This usually only takes a 2-3 hr meeting.

The the finalized concepts are presented to the designer, to help write the full design document, appended with any additional direction from the Lead Artist. The artist(s) on the project are given the final design doc, and they begin work on the project.

Work is usually completed in the following order:

-Core art (anything needed for initial gameplay programming, like the main character work, inital level art, a few basic enemies, UI elements, etc.)

-Initial level art (all assests required for the first level)

-Additional levels/content

-Splash screens/cut scenes

This allows art to get to the coders as efficiently as possible, and minimizes lag between teams. It also lets you do quality testing inbetween sections of development, so you can catch bugs or gameplay flaws as they occur, and not have to deal with a pile of revisions upon completion. The Lead Artist should act as liason between teams, so he/she can ensure the level of the art is adequate, and follows design guidelines.

I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but I think a similar development pipeline would still work fairly well on a 3D project. As for time, depending on any publishing deadlines, or milestones you've set, more time usually means higher quality work (something which is sadly rare in most mobile games :( ).

I hope this helps!

slowpid    1095
Quote:
Original post by nvision
I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but I think a similar development pipeline would still work fairly well on a 3D project.

No, it IS exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the help. I agree that a similar pipeline would be beneficial to a 3d project. I appreciate the help, thanks!