Sign in to follow this  
paic

Some questions about scenegraphes, resources managers, etc.

paic    645
Hi, i started working on a project with no scenegraphes or resource managers, and stuff like that, and it quickly became a nightmare to add new effects, optimize rendering, etc. So I decided to document myself on techniques such as those mentioned in the title, and I have a few questions about them. First, concerning the resource manager. I can understand the principle of a resource manager : for example, when a mesh is loaded, instead of storing its own textures, materials, etc. it will issue a request from the resource manager which will check if it's not already loaded, and return a pointer to the resource (which already exists or was just loaded) That will avoid redundant resources on the memory. In itself, it's already far more better than was I did before ^^ I also think it can be used at rendering time to check if a material / texture / whatever resource is set, to avoid redundant set*. But is it also possible to sort the rendering queue to minimize these resources changes (for example, sorting every meshes by textures and / or renderstates) ?? Maybe this job is done by the scenegraph ... I don't really know, that's why I ask ^^ Second, concerning scenegraphes. This is what I understand : I have a scene node, and linked to that, all the scene, forming a dependency tree (not spatial, more like the way the weapon will be linked to the hand, that will be linked to the arm, etc.) In each node, I have an abstract class that I use to put every entity of my engine in the scenegraph. for example, something like : class CDXEntity { public: CDXEntity(); ~CDXEntity(); virtual void Render() = 0; virtual void Update() = 0; // ... }; And every entity of my engine (simple mesh, effects, particle systems, etc.) will inherit from that, so that the scenegraph can handle every entity without knowing what class is store at a given node. That's where I have a problem. For example, let's say I have 2 renderable classes : CDXMesh (a simple mesh) and CDXBillboard (a face to camera billboard) The first one will fit perfectly in the scenegraph, but for the second one, i'll need the user position to make the billboard always face the camera ! So how can I handle that without a lot of special codes ? This is the *solutions* that I thought about : 1) don't touch the CDXEntity class, but make every usefull classes like camera, etc. globals, so that I can access them in every other classes. 2) modify the CDXEntity and add a lot of setters. This way, don't need to have a global camera, etc. but the drawback is that it's a lot of setters, and 90% of the time, they won't be used by the classes I had to my SG ... Sorry for the long post, but i'm new to the subject, and I need to have a clear idea of what I'm doing before I start coding ^^ Thanks in advance for the answers or links ^^

paic    645
ok, at least it's an answer, but how about an effect that need light infos, an other one that need special parameters, and so on ?
Do I have to pass EVERYTHING in the render method (or an update one, it'd be a little cleaner) ? That's exactly the same thing as my little 2), it's the same as creating a lot of setters.

Maybe it's effectively done like that in big project, but I need to be SURE of that because that's not the method I prefer to be honest : I don't really want to have tons of parameters, most of them never used by derived classes. And moreover, if I forget 1 thing, i'll have to modify all the sources / headers of the derived classes to add a new parameter, even if ONLY the new class that need it use it !

swiftcoder    18426
Usually you recurse through the scene graph, and build a list of every thing that needs to be rendered this frame.
Then you sort the list by material state, etc. save on state changes.
And finally you render each object in the list.

The current camera should be globaly accessable, so that things like billboards can access its position.

paulc    132
I have a slightly different scene graph structure, using more generic wrapper nodes and hand-rolled rtti information to determine types. All my individual systems are accessed through static functions on a 'system' class, i.e. I can get the camera manager anywhere in code and access the current player/view camera (or any other camera).

On the lighting side, during traversal of my scene I accumulate all visible lights and objects (and also any lights/objects that are not directly visible but may still have an impact on the view; lights that shine on visible objects, objects outside the view but which cast shadows into the view), then in a separate section of code determine interactions between the different types of elements, i.e. which lights each object is lit by etc. So at render time, the mesh data is passed to the renderer and this data also holds a list of lights that need to be used to light the mesh.

paic    645
ok, thx for the replies, I hopped a little more infos but that's better than nothing ^^

As it seems to be a critical point in an engine development (how many time did I read something like : "if you go that way, and if you need to add blabla then you'll have to completely refactor your SG ... blablalbal" so I'll continue my readings before implementing something.

And so, if anyone has some links, articles, thesis, books, etc. on these subjects (SG, resource managment, 3D engine architecture in general) please post them, I really need the most information possible !! ^^

dmatter    4821
how about:

virtual void Update (CSceneManager &sman) = 0;
virtual void Render (CRenderer &renderer) = 0;

The scene-manager stores the scenes camera, frustum, timer, etc so now Update has access to these almost as if they were global and you only pass 1 parameter, this seems a much better solution.

CRenderer is pretty vague, it could be an abstraction layer to a rendering API (D3D or Opengl) or it could be a rendering queue (or at least have access to the rendering queue) which allows renderable nodes to insert themselves into the queue for sorting and rendering.

paic    645
yep, it could work. I need a little more thinking on the subject, but I'm leaning toward these kind of approach.

did anyone read this article http://triplebuffer.devmaster.net/articles/scene_graph_dx/ ?? They do something that I like : the transformations, renderstates, etc. are just some nodes inserted in the SG. They say they can even have a node which is a function applied to all the children.

I like that idea very much. I'm still reading the article, so i'll see if it's usable in practice (in my case) but it's pretty clever I think : for example, shadows can be handled by simply registering / deregistering some nodes.

Did someone read this article, and what do you think about it ? (I've read the article on SG here on GDNet, but I found a thread where a guy says it's not usable in big project, although I thought it was a good tutorial ... so I don't know what to think now ^^)

swiftcoder    18426
The article glosses over several points, such as the need to cache each nodes transform every frame, so that you can access them outside of the rendering code. Other than that, it is a very useful system (though it may take some work to adapt it for culling etc.).