3Dmax

Started by
6 comments, last by lc_overlord 18 years, 10 months ago
Can I use 3dmax files in my game if ý use how can ý use?are there any source code that can use 3dmax files?
Advertisement
Yes you can, but usually the 3DS format is used instead of the (newer) MAX format. Some sources for this should be available on the internet. Also, these formats are not particularly well suited for including directly in your game as max is not primarily a game modelling package (but much more). At the top level, you can consider writing your own export plug-in for max and write and read the data in your own native format. For a shorter, simpler track you can consider using existing formats; for example with DX you could use the Panda Exporter and the X-format.

Greetz,

Illco
I m beginner and ý could not understand general file formats in games.Is there a simple file format that ý can use?
Quote:
For a shorter, simpler track you can consider using existing formats; for example with DX you could use the Panda Exporter and the X-format.

Maybe I should have added that DX comes with importers for this format? If you are not using DX then I have no recommendations for a simple format.
.obj is a ok format for simple stuff.
It can be exported/imported by most modeling packages, and there are a couple of code sources out there for writing your own importer.

In the long run i suggest you write your own format since that will give you exactly what you want.

http://www.wotsit.org/ - this is a bible when it comes to fileformats.
It directly links to the obj specs + code and to a spec on the x format.
if you are still interested in .3ds files look at lib3ds. It will do the dirty work for you, but is very bad documented (I seems like they just run doxygen over the source without doing any documentation...).

Speeking of 3ds files, does anyone know if 3ds includes bone anymation data?
Nope, i don't think so.
the 3ds files are to old for that, they only contain a single static object, materials and a lot of junk, at least acording to the specs i got from wotsit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement