general vs 2005 questions

Started by
5 comments, last by owiley 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi I have had a msdn/technet sub for some time now, and I have just received the beta of 2005, I have a spare machine so I installed it, I previously used 2003 for no more than a few hours whilst just testing various things, but I mainly just used good old vb 6.0 for the past 5+ years as I can build almost anything (excluding networking stuff!) during my last few months I messed around with winsock and made a few networked programs. I was just about to start writing my next application and I got a bit sidetracked as I am fed up with making rubbish applications that looked like they should be used with windows 3.1! (well 95...) and had to invoke tons of code to just do a taskbar icon, not being able to use newer addins and cool menus... well you get the idea! anyway I have looked at the new visual studio, and I just love it! everything just seems so well thought out! but I was wondering if you know how I can jsut do simple networking, maybe I missed it, but I could not find winsock on the list to add to the toolbox, and just have no idea how to do it. I like learning on my own, but I do not know where to even start and was wondering what I should use? also apart from various updates, will applications i write in beta vs 2005 work on computers when microsoft release .net framework 2, or would i have to convert the application... I dont want to have to rewrite everything, but from what I have recently heard, if i write in vs 2003, I will have to rewrite it anyway when framewrok 2 comes out! Thanks
>wilhil<
Advertisement
As you're talking about the toolbox I guess you're using one of the managed languages rather than unmanaged C++. In which case you don't use winsock you use the networking stuff provided by the .Net class library. Take a look at the System.Net.Sockets namespace.
Thanks, rating ++ but any chance anyone else can give a little more info, and by the way, i am using VB mainly as that is where my main experiance is, but I am learning c++, but I am far off from doing advanced applications that I can do with VB
>wilhil<
hey where did u get 2005?

and is manged c++ and stuff faster than c++ and c?
Bring more Pain
You can order a "free" (pay for shipping only) DVD copy of the VS2005 Beta 2 direct from MS. Takes a week or two to ship, though, if it's still like when I ordered.
Quote:Original post by owiley
hey where did u get 2005?

and is manged c++ and stuff faster than c++ and c?

I have technet plus , and msdn universal, i get betas from both, but i think 70% that this came from msdn, and as for c++, I really have no clue, I havent started with managed and dont really know too much, I mainly just do basic c++ programs or complex vb programs.
>wilhil<
okay thx
Bring more Pain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement