Sign in to follow this  

Using ODE for culling?

This topic is 4588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I was designing my engine and I was having trouble figuring out how to reconcile the data from ODE and the data from my objects, and then I thought: what if I just used ODE for everything? If I just add all my objects to ODE, and then I just do a dSpaceCollide with my space and a frustum then I can effectively do hierarchical spatial culling, right? Does anyone know how good ODE would be for this? Are there any major disadvantages?

better not.
Because graphics cards are so fast these days that it's better to just throw a lot of batches at it.
So you don't want to spend too much time culling your geometry, so it pays to do very rough culling.
ODE is a physics lib. which needs to be precise, since you would definitely notice if a box would hit something precisely or not.

Culling and Physics have different needs and different specialized algorithms on how to handle things.

Let me put it this way, just drawing everything and not doing any culling will be faster than to use ODE for the culling.

This topic is 4588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.