Something Fun to learn at university?

Started by
8 comments, last by nprz 18 years, 11 months ago
im a CS student trying to decide what course would be fun for next year, any suggestions about what your fav part of programming is?
Advertisement
I would definately take a computer graphics course if offered (OpenGL or D3D centric doesn't matter). Also, I would get any type of Unix\Linux experience that you can. It just looks good on a resume. Other than that take anything off major core requirements that interests you (art\theatre\music, etc.). That can keep school from becoming such a grind and in the B.A. department you will meet all kinds of hot freaky women that are very open minded if you know what I mean.

Just make sure that you have things that keep you mentally engaged so you dont feel like you are in a rut and just doing busy work.

J

I second computer graphics
Also (but probably not) try maby a 3d modeling course that uses programs like 3d max
It's fun to use but I can see why a straight programmer may not want to waste a class on it
^_^
If your looking for something to toil away the years there why not try joining a club
Can't beat chess ^___^
(by the way last post was mine, don't think I was loged in when I posted)
I was born on palace, a interactive chatsite....
Hi there,

At my university we have courses like:

Virtual Reality,
Computer Graphics 1 (Image analysis),
Computer Graphics 2 (mostly offline rendering-systems, but as with VR also some real-time applications),
3D Modelling and animation,
Light and materials... and so on :)

We also have to choice to take special-courses so students can write about some specific they want. I have i.e. wrote a physics-engine and some GPU fluid-dynamics etc.

Next semester I'll write my midway-project about image recognition and augmented reality! :)

Best regards,
Roq
Thanks guys, you were all very helpful :)
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Also (but probably not) try maby a 3d modeling course that uses programs like 3d max
It's fun to use but I can see why a straight programmer may not want to waste a class on it
^_^

im a hardcore programmer and i love 3ds max its very nice and maya is okay if u could ever get around it

math and science course are always fun if u like the extra ^~^
work!

if i was u i would find something u like some times it could something as simple as world histroy or greek myth..... but let me warn u to take some class to ofset your course load because around finals everyone could use a good break!!!
Bring more Pain
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
^_^

im a hardcore programmer and i love 3ds max its very nice and maya is okay if u could ever get around it

math and science course are always fun if u like the extra ^~^
work!

if i was u i would find something u like some times it could something as simple as world histroy or greek myth..... but let me warn u to take some class to ofset your course load because around finals everyone could use a good break!!!
Bring more Pain
Agent technology (AI related). Not a slacker subject admittedly but quite an interesting technology to get into, especially with regard to game design. The coursework for that in my course was to create a wildlife simulation (omnivores and herbivores battling for survival).
Data Compression is a fun course to take. Learning how all the old and new compression schemes might come in handy. It also might help if you ever want to make online games that might transfer lots of data and you want to compression data before sending it. Or just learning methods for compressing your data before storage.

I learned more studying graphics on my own than when I took the course. I don't think I could manage studying data compression on my own though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement