Procedural content

Started by
5 comments, last by s_p_oneil 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, Lately I've seen some really cool examples of procedural content... At GDC, Will Wright gave a talk about his new "Spore", really cool stuff. Also, I read about a game demo called .kkrieger which was made in only 96 Kbytes (60K for code, 36K for content). Here is the URL to an article on Gamasutra in case you're interested... You might need an account to view it, I'm not sure: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050412/wen_01.shtml So, does anyone know any good papers, books, or websites which discuss procedural content generation? (textures, geometry, etc.) Thanks very much! roos
Advertisement
Seeing a live demo of Spore a couple months ago made me excited about procedural content again, as well. I recently started reading up on it some. I am mostly interested in procedural model generation, but seeing how generating a believable animal model seems a very complex subject, I decided to concentrate on *simple* plant life first, like grass, where you can get away with generating a few blades of grass and be done with it, as opposed to say generating a tree, where you have the trunk and branches and leaves and all that other stuff. :) A few examples of how to generate plants can be found here:

http://www.vterrain.org/Plants/Modelling/

I would be very much interested in learning more about this though, if anyone else has anything to contribute. :)
Vovan
Texturing and Modelling: A Procedural Approach.

It doesn't have very much on procedural generation of geometry - a pity, because that's what I bought it for - but it's got excellent coverage of procedural texturing, including discussions on issues like antialiasing.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

If you're interested in procedural content generation you might be interested in this ArsTechnica article on the Xbox 360's hardware support for procedural content generation.

I'll second the recommendation for Texturing and Modelling: A Procedural Approach, make sure you get the third edition which has a lot of extra content and is printed in full colour throughout rather than having a few colour plates like the first.

[edit] Should have said the third edition, not the second edition.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

I was looking at that book online at Amazon, pondering whether I should get it or not. :) I'll make sure to check it out next time I'm at a book store.

Also, for procedural content generation, here are a couple articles I found recently:

Procedural 3D Content Generation, Part 1
Procedural 3D Content Generation, Part 2

They make a nice and simple introduction to procedural stuff, I think. :)
Vovan
Cool, thanks a lot guys! That textbook looks awesome, I will definitely check it out. The Devx article was really helpful too, great overview of what can be done w/ procedural approaches..
Here's another tip. Don't just look at the plants section of VTerrain.org. Go to the home page and check out all the links. It is the most comprehensive site I've seen on this subject.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement