Sign in to follow this  
JCK

Question about Cel Shading with existing textures.

JCK    122
Hello everyone. I've done research into some cel shading tutorials, most notably the Sami Hamlaoui tutorials on GameDev and NeHe. I noticed that the cel shading uses 1D textures generated on the fly by calculating the textures based on a shader value and a light normal of each vertex. My question is, what about models that you have textured and you want to just alter those textures to look cel shaded? Is it possible to take an original texture and make it celshaded on the fly?

kburkhart84    3182
I've never done it, but it shouldn't be too hard. You could multi-texture the model, or calculate the "color" according to the same method in the original cel-shading, but modulate the texture with it. Those should work, but the "sketchy" look won't be the same unless appropriate textures are used.

JCK    122
>_< Sorry to bump my own post, but I've been gone for the week and didn't get a chance to see the reply.

I can see how multitexturing would kinda work and was thinking thats what I'd have to do, but I also see how It wouldn't have the hand-drawn look that I'm looking for.

I was very impressed by this tutorial: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2021.asp

Only thing about it is that it uses DirectX and some shader languages (which don't like my Radeon IGP). I also want to stick to OGL.

kburkhart84 mentioned using appropriate textures that would work with the shading and after looking at Zelda: Wind Waker artwork, it also appears that they use textures that appear celshaded as well.

I guess the appropriate course of action is to create models that have the celshaded textures then calculate the celshading shadows. My only problem is that I'm not sure how to do multi-texturing let alone combining a 2d texture with the textures created by the cel shading technique that Sami Hamlaoui uses.

If I can get help with that, it'd be much appreciated!