Sign in to follow this  
Nathan Baum

Unity Lisp to DLL

I was messing about with the Quake 2 source, and I thought to myself "wouldn't it be cool if the game (as in the gamex86.dll, rather than the engine exe) was written in Lisp?" I decided that the answer was yes. It would give me an opportunity to (1) learn to use Lisp for a Real Project, (2) show other people that Lisp can be used for Real Projects and (3) play lots of Quake 2. All of which are Big Wins in my opinion. The intent is that it be fully modular, so I could load "weapons/shotgun.lisp", "powerups/quad.lisp" etc at runtime, rather than having them hardcoded into the game. So the actual question is: what options are available re. using Lisp in this way. Should I use a C library and embed a Lisp interpreter in it, do the entire thing in Lisp and compile it into a DLL, or embed a Lisp interpreter directly in the engine, bypassing the traditional gamex86.dll? Which implementations would you say are most suitable for embedding or compiling to DLLs?

I don't really know a lot about doing what you want. I just thought I'd mention ECL - they have a screenshot with a Lisp REPL running in a Q2 console.