Sign in to follow this  
The Najdorf

ragdoll masters prerelease

The Najdorf    318
Well here it is: ragdollmasters webpage I put highscores, preference saving to file, a registration system, more options and various other stuff (though I havent done the website yet). I still dont know how much to price it... I hope the restrictions+nag screen are convincing enough without being overkill... what do you think would be the right price? (plz dont tell free :P) Thx! Matteo [Edited by - The Najdorf on May 31, 2005 7:18:26 PM]

Drew_Benton    1861
Oh wow, I love how you have improved upon this so much! Very nice! But, on the nag screen, 30 seconds is kinda overkill! I'd like to see perhaps around 15-25 at most, and by then, not always 25 seconds. For example, when you die, you shouldn't have to wait 30 seconds! Other than that, I'd love to see a way that shows the damage per blow. That and some very nice catchy music and sound effects, and you have yourself a good quality arcade game! Keep up the good work! Price wise, I'd say something around $5-15 at the current state. I mean I know I'd want to see a few more things beforre buying it, but other than that, it's a great game that is definitly buyable. Keep at it, I can't wait for more releases.

The Najdorf    318
thx :)

Yeah, all "real" games have music and sfx... but personaly I think they're pretty useless... I mean, why should you listen to a game's music when you can listen to all the mp3s you want? Yet I should put at least the sfx... good luck finding those...

Hey when you lose you should wait more for punishment :P

The damage per blow is actually constant, so it's not a big deal.

Drew_Benton    1861
Quote:
Original post by The Najdorf
Yeah, all "real" games have music and sfx... but personaly I think they're pretty useless... I mean, why should you listen to a game's music when you can listen to all the mp3s you want? Yet I should put at least the sfx... good luck finding those...

Ahh good point. Most of the time if a game does have bad music I do listen to my own instead. Hey I guess you can keep the filesize down.

Quote:
Hey when you lose you should wait more for punishment :P

[grin] Not a bad idea come to think of it...[wink]

Quote:
The damage per blow is actually constant, so it's not a big deal.

Ok cool, I wasn't sure how that was setup. Are head blows woth more though?

The Najdorf    318
oh! I forgot to mention combos! The first hit in a combo deals 1 damage, the second hit in combo deals 2 damage etc. this way you have a chance of beating people fast if you get a good streak. But head and body blows are the same (that's because after all they are about equally common)

Ademan555    361
Hrm, im not sure if this is already how it works (im about to download this version) but i used the old version and i was under the impression that hits didnt do damage based on the force that was applied. Assuming you wrote the rigid body dynamics and such behind this, basing the damage on the force would be easy, and in my mind a good idea

EDIT: just another suggestion, maybe things should be slowed down based on the amount of damage done as well, because i dont like waiting to recover from an unsuccessful attack (no damage done) id much rather get right back in there

(these are just my suggestions)

keep up the good work
hope that helps
-Dan

[Edited by - Ademan555 on May 27, 2005 12:49:59 AM]

bjogio    242
In my configuration the game doesn't run: screenshot
After an initial self-move of the window I catch this WM_PAINT problem (the window draw garbage). Due to the fact that I cannot run the game for now I can only give you suggetion about what I can test:
1) Make sure to call CreateWindowEx with the actual paramenters from GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN/2 - Width);
GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN/2 - Height);
with this you can avoid a window replacement.
2) Let the user kill the application from the taskbar with right click. If there are problems I have to hard kill the process.

I've tested during coffebreak in a computer that I use at work. I have win2k3, 1024 ram, Matrox Parhelia in a double screen.

dmatter    4826
Quote:
what do you think would be the right price?

Just had a thought. What currency do you intend to use? Do you plan to market it in Italy?
Assuming you still use Lira in Italy then anywhere from 14,075 to 42,226 (or roughly 5 to 15 in british pounds)

The Najdorf    318
>Do you plan to market it in Italy?

Nah, I'm trying to sell software on the internet, 90% of my customers are american...

Btw I think 15 pounds for this is way too much (but thanks!!), I was thinking of 9.95 US$

PS: lira's dont exist anymore, since a few years we have euro in europe (though you brits probably don't care about europe ;P)

dmatter    4826
Quote:
>Do you plan to market it in Italy?

Nah, I'm trying to sell software on the internet, 90% of my customers are american...

Btw I think 15 pounds for this is way too much (but thanks!!), I was thinking of 9.95 US$

PS: lira's dont exist anymore, since a few years we have euro in europe (though you brits probably don't care about europe ;P)

ha, ha can't believe I forgot that ^^ my geography is terrible, but I remember that Italy looks like a foot/boot on a map.

I don't much like the euro, part of the fun of going to different parts of europe was to laugh at the 'wierd' currency they use but now they all use the same its not so much fun cuz you probably laugh at us :) (not that it bothers me any)

Edit: I remember it was Monty Python's 'money' song was what made me think of Lira

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Really enjoying it, it's good fun.

May I recommend making it so that the damage is proportional to momentum? At the moment, I can hover at the top of the screen, head up, and just descend onto the enemies head, real slow, getting head blows and combos repetitively. Make it so that I have to hit them hard, and it'll be more challenging.

Hexed    175
Hey man nice game. The simplicity of this game adds to the value in my opinion. The menu texts remind me of oldschool atari and the like. Very cool. But perhaps you should revise the menu code, response is slow.

I fully support your decision to go shareware. $5 sounds reasonable to me. Good call on reducing nag time to 15 seconds. This has almost guaranteed my purchase of this game. Just gotta wait for my next paycheck.

Why did you remove the option for toggling plasma fx? I don't really care for the look and it's way too slow on my PC. More configurability is a plus.

Are you considering writing a "sequel"? I would definitely look forward to that. Some thoughts for a next version:

* Backgrounds (not lines)
* Network play
* Joystick/gamepad support
* Textured characters
* AI
* Teamplay

Ah there was probably more I had in mind but I forgot. But anyhow, again awesome game man, keep up the good work.

The Najdorf    318
Thx man. I took away that option 'cause the options menu was gettin' very crowded... but if you say it slows down too much I guess I can put it back in... I see what I can do also for the menu response.

Yeah ideally you could put graphics to this... It would be a long, tough project though, I would have to change stuff quite a bit... but probably it's doable... then I would also need an artist to do the "pieces".

Stompy9999    792
I've got to be honest, I enjoyed this game more than alot of games being sold for game consoles. The physics are incredible, and overall, it is just a great idea. Well done.

dmatter    4826
Hey man, its cool that you got sounds in there too!

The menus seem to run fine on my computer, but I would like to see an option to turn on the background again - it added something to the game :)

some pointers:
* When volume = 0 and don't play the sounds for better performance (might do that anyway, I don't know)
* give the option to turn on/off the plasma.
* give the option to turn on/off the backgrounds!
* if your struggling with menu over crowding then think about increasing menu depth or perhaps moving 'player = 1-2' onto the main menu 'Single Player' 'Two Player' (The 'Two Player' is like a 'Tournament' perhaps you could make it first to 10 is the champion)
* (maybe) you might want to think about just saying [locked] for locked items.
* For the registered version only consider a 'Gravity Match' where the gravity cycles to each side of the screen (randomly?) - This should be quite easy to implement (and well worth a purchase from a consumer point of view)

Seriema    634
Really nifty game! A bit slow to move (i.e. work against the recoils).

Is it just me or does the game slow down each time you hit and that little effect shows up? Is that intentional or is my compy doing something in software and crawling?