Sign in to follow this  
nprz

I've been waiting to make this game for so long

nprz    692
Since my finals are nearly over, I've finally gotten a couple hours to work on making a game. Just a simple game, since I only had a couple hours. Snake Here is a screenshot if you don't feel like playing a game SS The only problem I had with it is I kept thinking my tiles were 15x15 and so half of that was 7.5x7.5, eventhough it was 16x16 and half would be 8x8. So therefore when I rotated the texture, it didn't work right. I included the source as well.

Mardigin    122
Awsome. I am finally out of school to and I thought that I would start a pac-man clone. Before I do though I have a fair bit to learn about OpenGL.

My favorite snake game was for intelivision. It was called snafu. Perhaps I will make a clone of that as well.

Mardigin.

The Najdorf    318
cool enough, but you definetely need to learn the ultimate secret of the snake games, that you learn if you play lots of hours on the nokia one: so here goes: if you are going to crash against a wall or bite yourself, you have to give some more time to the user. in other words, the time between every move is not constant, but it's longer if you are going to crash

Fruny    1658
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Those are very boring games!

So? At least he's got something to show for his effort.

nprz    692
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Those are very boring games!

Fair enough, but this game took me 2 hours to make. Comparing that with 6 hours for my Tetris game. I just enjoy making the initial game (tweaking the UI/Levels isn't much fun for me).

Fruny    1658
Quote:
Original post by The Najdorf
next time you could try making a game just as simple but more original

Or he could keep working on it to try to add new twists to the game.

nprz    692
Quote:
cool enough, but you definetely need to learn the ultimate secret of the snake games, that you learn if you play lots of hours on the nokia one: so here goes: if you are going to crash against a wall or bite yourself, you have to give some more time to the user. in other words, the time between every move is not constant, but it's longer if you are going to crash

OK, I added a function that will return a higher time if the next move will crash, therefore waiting longer. Perhaps I made it too high.

Quote:

I probably will. Coming up with a really good game idea take quite some time/thought and lately I've just had too much classwork. I just figured I'd put std::list to some use and make this game which uses it so well.

nprz    692
Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Quote:

My Tetris game had some neat additional features (I don't think I documented the gameplay very well in the file. I did on my website though).

Thanks for supporting the newbie [smile]

Drew_Benton    1861
Quote:

Quote:
Original post by Fruny

3D First Person Snake anyone? [grin] Nice work Nprz! Man I think I need to make me a simple game to mess with! Blah, I'm so behind...[headshake]

As for more ideas, I will say a cute little munching noise when the snake eats an apple [wink], perhaps a score counter (for kicks I guess), and then perhaps some powerups -
Green Apple - Snake cuts in half
Orange Apple - Snake's head reverse to tail and tail to head so you are now going in the other direction
Then whatever else that can be thought of. Overall, very nice! Only 2 hours you say? Impressive!

As for your tetris, wow as well. I don't think I've seen a preview block like that in a game before. Where'd you get that idea at? Those are some pretty crazy looking pieces too [lol]

The Najdorf    318
Quote:
Coming up with a really good game idea take quite some time/thought and lately I've just had too much classwork

yeah, you're definetely right.

If I dont have an idea that enthusiasms me, I barely even code. I usually dont "look" for ideas, usually I stay 3 or more months without coding anything, but then, from some other game in or some other inspiration I get some idea that makes me crazy and I just want to implement it at all costs. so I start to get code crazy.

A great way to get ideas is looking at other stuff and say "hey, I would do this instead"... or "I wonder how I could implement this..." etc

nprz    692
Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Quote:

Quote:
Original post by Fruny

3D First Person Snake anyone? [grin] Nice work Nprz! Man I think I need to make me a simple game to mess with! Blah, I'm so behind...[headshake]

As for more ideas, I will say a cute little munching noise when the snake eats an apple [wink], perhaps a score counter (for kicks I guess), and then perhaps some powerups -
Green Apple - Snake cuts in half
Orange Apple - Snake's head reverse to tail and tail to head so you are now going in the other direction
Then whatever else that can be thought of. Overall, very nice! Only 2 hours you say? Impressive!

As for your tetris, wow as well. I don't think I've seen a preview block like that in a game before. Where'd you get that idea at? Those are some pretty crazy looking pieces too [lol]

Those 3 extra Tetris pieces on the bottom-right aren't preview pieces. It is for morphing your piece (while it drops, into that piece). PageUp/PageDown scrolls through them. Since there are so many different pieces (pentominos, tetrominos, trominoes) I didn't really distinguish the inverses as unique. You can press the '5' key and it will invert the piece. 'k' removes it, 'l' morphs it into a different piece. The game is too easy with morphing and killing of pieces, so if I were to update it, I'd restrict the frequencies of using those features.

Oh, if you meant preview as in the outline of the graphic, someone recommended I do that because if you modify the board size to be 30x30, it is hard to distinguish where you drop them.

My description of the game. It has old screenshots though.