I've been waiting to make this game for so long

Started by
11 comments, last by nprz 18 years, 11 months ago
Since my finals are nearly over, I've finally gotten a couple hours to work on making a game. Just a simple game, since I only had a couple hours. Snake Here is a screenshot if you don't feel like playing a game SS The only problem I had with it is I kept thinking my tiles were 15x15 and so half of that was 7.5x7.5, eventhough it was 16x16 and half would be 8x8. So therefore when I rotated the texture, it didn't work right. I included the source as well.
Advertisement
Awsome. I am finally out of school to and I thought that I would start a pac-man clone. Before I do though I have a fair bit to learn about OpenGL.

My favorite snake game was for intelivision. It was called snafu. Perhaps I will make a clone of that as well.

Mardigin.
cool enough, but you definetely need to learn the ultimate secret of the snake games, that you learn if you play lots of hours on the nokia one: so here goes: if you are going to crash against a wall or bite yourself, you have to give some more time to the user. in other words, the time between every move is not constant, but it's longer if you are going to crash
Got a Mac? Check out my game at [a]http://www.radicalrebound.com[/a]
Those are very boring games!
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

So? At least he's got something to show for his effort.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Fair enough, but this game took me 2 hours to make. Comparing that with 6 hours for my Tetris game. I just enjoy making the initial game (tweaking the UI/Levels isn't much fun for me).
next time you could try making a game just as simple but more original
Got a Mac? Check out my game at [a]http://www.radicalrebound.com[/a]
Quote:Original post by The Najdorf

Or he could keep working on it to try to add new twists to the game.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
cool enough, but you definetely need to learn the ultimate secret of the snake games, that you learn if you play lots of hours on the nokia one: so here goes: if you are going to crash against a wall or bite yourself, you have to give some more time to the user. in other words, the time between every move is not constant, but it's longer if you are going to crash

OK, I added a function that will return a higher time if the next move will crash, therefore waiting longer. Perhaps I made it too high.

Quote:

I probably will. Coming up with a really good game idea take quite some time/thought and lately I've just had too much classwork. I just figured I'd put std::list to some use and make this game which uses it so well.
Quote:Original post by Fruny

Or he could keep working on it to try to add new twists to the game.

My Tetris game had some neat additional features (I don't think I documented the gameplay very well in the file. I did on my website though).

Thanks for supporting the newbie [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement