Sign in to follow this  

Aura's in World of Warcraft (Images)

This topic is 4581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In World of Warcraft some of the characters can create aura's. Graphically these are colorful textures which are alpha blended onto the terrain somehow. Below a few screenshots: The first image shows a nice aura as it should be. The next image shows the aura when the character is placed on a staircase. In this image, the player managed to get on top of a pillar. The aura is shown on the ground, but not on the pillar. The blue spikes in this picture are the aura. Something is freaking out here. From the second picture I conclude that the auras are drawn with some kind of projective texturing. I initially thought that somehow all geometry near the character was drawn again with the aura texture, but the does not seem to be the case (from image 3). So maybe they only query the ground. But when I first noticed this, we tested by placing the player on the railing of a bridge, and it did show up on that. So the bridge was used (in addition to the ground). Am I right in that they are doing this with projective texturing, or is there another way to do this (and get cause the same faulty effect on the staircase)?

hi,

just my thoughts but i'm pretty sure that it's simple projective texture. Maybe some of the object don't recieve projective textures for some reasons (that would explain the pillar which doesn't recieve the aura)

it reminds me my weapon : a torch. It dynamically light almost everything outdoor, but in some instances, it doesn't light most of the objects. So maybe some object simply don't support lighting / projective textures ...

Quote:
Original post by sit
why it decided to project it on the wall in the 3rd pic is anyone's guess

Probably the wall is not perfectly vertical; it has a slight slope onto which a vertical projection would be seen. The original aura "spike" is probably not that long a spike when projected onto the ground, but I don't know about that.

Assuming those pillars are used repeatedly, it's safe to assume that the world is made up of a mesh, which is what the auras are projected onto, but the pillars are models placed in the world, which don't have the auras projected onto them.

This topic is 4581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.