MD2 format description needed...

Started by
5 comments, last by circlesoft 18 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I'm looking for a breakdown of the MD2 model format, eg. what's in the header, etc. I would like to create an importer for my game. Anyone have any links? Now for a legal question. Are the public allowed to freely create comercial games which use the MD2 (quake 2) model format? Thanks! MOOoooooooooooooooolicious
Advertisement
MD2 file format specifications
Quake 2's .md2 model file format (I like this one)
I also have code to massage the MD2 data into a more friendly format than the idiotic way it's stored on disk, if you'd like.

As for legality, the format is not protected, but the original id Software tools are. So if you use the exporters written by id, you can't use it in your own software. If, however, you use Milkshape 3D or some independently written MD2 exporter, you can do whatever you want.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Yay! A great tutorial about loading MD2 and rendering with D3D.
I agree with the above comment about the idiotic format and the need to massage it.

I read it in and totally re-arrange the format and even calculate normals for lighting.

Every frame also has the same texture coordinates so take advantage of this. The otiginal code use to re-calculate the texture coordinates aech time a model was rendered that must have cost countless CPU cycles for nothing.

Thanks guys!

All these links are very cool. I did google it but I didn't get what I wanted. I am currently writting university exams so I will only get to play with this model format during my vac. Thanks, I will bear in mind all your comments.

Moolicious
Does anyone has similar tutorials for Managed DirectX in C# ?
Or have I just to transcript the C++ structure to C# to make them working ?
Here is an article on GameDev, entitled Using Vertex Tweening For Animation. It demonstrates how to use hardware-accelarated tweening for faster animation, and the demo has some solid MD2 loading code.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement