Sign in to follow this  
Clotty

The answer to my problem?

Basically, I'm using QBasic to create a football (soccer) management game. I'm just starting out and hopefully I'll leanr as I go along the way ... nothing easier attracts me, so I'm diving right into the deep end. I've read a few QBasic tutorials and feel I can begin with my project now. But, I was wondering how I should make the database of clubs and their players. I was thinking of arrays being the best answer, but I thought I should double check here first. Are arrays the best answer? And would I be able to recall the players and have QBasic evaluate their skill levl, for when matches are processed? The only other main question I was having was of how managers would pick their team. Surely there must be an easier way than ... press 1) to see Manchester United Squad (and then when in their squad mode) ... press E to go to previous scree or press Yes to manager the team. Is there ... or is that the only alternative? Feedback appreaciated.

I think arrays are probably the best solution considering the limitations of the language you have chosen. They aren't really the best solution for your problem, but not having used QBasic for a long time, I can't think of any features it has that will better suit your needs.

Personally, I would recommend Python as a better alternative for a language to learn with, along with the PyGame library. This is of course up to you though, you can learn some of the basics from QBasic if you choose to do so, but being a rather dated language it isn't generally considered the best choice for beginners anymore.

In any case, good luck with your project, and I hope this has been of some help. [smile]

Python, eh?

I did consider it, but was recommended to turn to QBasic, I'll see if there are any useful tutorials ... and MIGHT consider going to Python.

Well, feel free to use QBasic if you prefer, you can work with it. I actually did some of my own learning using it, but that way way back in about 1992. The language is very out of date, and isn't very powerful or flexible even among BASIC variants.

Go with whatever language you feel most comfortable with though, the important thing is learning the basic fundamentals - from that point you should have an easier time moving on to another more advanced language if you'd like to.

After looking through some articles, it seems Python would be the best alternative over QBasic. Could anyone recommned any solid tutorials in that case?