Sign in to follow this  

Oh woe is my compiler...

This topic is 4581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is all getting rather silly. I got the latest version of Dev-C++ (v.4.9.9.2 or something like that), and I can write and compile scripts, but nothing seems to work in conjunction with it. I got the Allegro DevPak from the book (Game Programming All-in-one) but scripts I make with it always return that excessively annoying "DLL not found" dialog, with a list of about 10 different places it didn't find something or other, including many places that have no relation to Dev-C++ at all. Okay, I thought, maybe it's because the software in the book is old. (I remember at the Ogre3d site, it said Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2 uses a different version of the MinGW32 compiler than 4.9.9.1, and that seems like it could cause problems.) So I went to the Allegro site, and downloaded the newest version. Unfortunately, it is unavailable as a devpak, so I had to try to compile the code myself. I followed the directions in the book (go to command line, set path, 'fix mingw32', make all...etc.), but when I told it to 'make all,' it just came up with error after error. And it still didn't work. Not to mention Ogre3d, with it's "can't use the latest version of Dev-C++" thing (I actually did download an older version of Dev-C++ and installed the Ogre devpak, but when I tried to run anything, it couldn't find 'ogre.h'. However, I think that may be just a header file that is included with the samples, not necessarily in the devpak itself). Ogre seems like the most reliable one, and even that is pushing it because I can't use the less-buggy V.4.9.9.2 with it. Oh well, from the screenshots and specs, Ogre3D looks like just what I needed, with graphics and systems better than 3DGS and all. And then there's DirectX. Let's not go there. I just installed that, but only because one day, I know I'm going to want to work with it. But as far as right now goes, I'm not going to bother because, I guess it's true what they say about having to use Visual C++ with that, since even the sample files wouldn't compile with Dev-C++. Anyway, that's about it. If anyone can give me any advice on how to compile Allegro without using the crap command prompt, it would be much appreciated. Or any advice on getting anything to work, for that matter. Thanks in advance.

I'll get the specifics ASAP (I'm in class atm).

All I can give as far as the errors right now is that for Allegro, it would compile a code alright, but then when I go to run the executable, it came up with the dialog window ('The file [blarg] could not be found in the following directory: C:\Dev-Cpp...'). In this case, the file is (if memory serves) alleglib40.dll or something like that. It's not a compiler error in the case of allegro, unless maybe it isn't compiling what it should be.

With ogre, it wouldn't compile a code just because ogre.h could not be found (I checked both bin\ogre and lib\ogre, but it wasnt there...). But as previously mentioned, I think it was a project-specific file, not engine specific.

And as far as the DX SDK, it gives no indication on how to optimize for non-Microsoft software (you know how they are). It explicitly states, THESE TUTORIALS ARE FOR MICROSOFT DIRECTX AND MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ AND IF YOU DON'T USE THEM, YOU ARE IN FOR AN ETERNITY OF FLAME AND SUFFERING. Well, it might not say exactly that, but it's pretty close. So yeah, I think that's just a configuration problem.

Have you thought of trying Linux? It took me a while, but gcc on linux becomes pretty friendly after you get used to it. I've compiled Ogre and Clanlib and lots of opensource games. Cross compiling so that the programs run on windows may be a problem. I don't know about that other than it supposedly can be done.

It's crossed my mind. I have Red Hat 8 install (probably quite out of date, now) the only problem being that my HD is a Serial ATA drive, and I never learned how to implement those on a Linux system. OTOH, I have been planning on upgrading the PC I have, so maybe, instead, I'll just put together a Linux one so I can work with both.

The only concern I had was...if I'm developing on Ogre in Linux, I can still port out to Windows, right? I would assume so, but being limited solely to Linux systems would really be suicide inducing. How big of a problem are we talking? Not that I don't like Linux, but the number of people I know who use Linux regularly could be counted on one hand.

Not to mention the fact that I have no experience with anything other than Windows...

If you're going to try Linux, I would suggest that you stay away from Red Hat, preferably far away. Red Hat may be easy to use, but you will have a hard time learning about Linux in general on it, and it is very slow. FreeBSD is my personal favorite operating system, but I do like Slackware Linux. Ubuntu is getting to be very popular and it probably wouldn't be a bad choice for a first *nix, especially since if you ask nicely they'll send you the cds for free, no shipping charge even.

Not sure if I read that correctly. The header file of ogre probably wouldn't be in bin/orge ... guess it would belong in includes/ogre

Are you only following step-by-step instructions?
You know what developer libraries, runtime libraries and include files are?

How new or not are you to programming and to using Dev-C++?
Kinda hard to tell where you stand ... so it is hard to make suggestions.

Quote:
Original post by hiroshisan
All I can give as far as the errors right now is that for Allegro, it would compile a code alright, but then when I go to run the executable, it came up with the dialog window ('The file [blarg] could not be found in the following directory: C:\Dev-Cpp...'). In this case, the file is (if memory serves) alleglib40.dll or something like that. It's not a compiler error in the case of allegro, unless maybe it isn't compiling what it should be.

Sounds like it is compiling correctly, and you are missing the allegro runtime DLLS.

Try getting this file: http://www.allegro.cc/files/4.0.3/allegro-enduser-4.0.3-win32.exe

Extract it, and put the DLL in the same directory as your EXE.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Some time ago I also installed dev-c++ and the allegro devpack from within it.
The allegro DLL had 41 in its name instead of 40 which my EXE needed.
I just renamed the allegro runtime DLL.
There problem yours lies hmm hmm.

This topic is 4581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.