Game Tools in C++... Win32 API or .NET?

Started by
4 comments, last by JohnBolton 18 years, 10 months ago
I am wanting to recode a terrain generator I wrote in c# with managed directx into a c++ application. It uses some windows dialog boxes and such, so I was wondering what would be the best way to code this? Should I use traditional win32 api and resource files and then use the COM version of directx directly, or should I use the .NET features of c++ for the interface and then somehow use the un-managed directx features via some kind of wrapper? Seems like the whole wrapper thing may be more trouble than it's worth, but then the win32 api is going to be slower to code the dialog boxes in. Any comments appreciated.
Advertisement
I would like to recommend you to use the Win32 API because
otherwise it's no point to port your application, it will just
be a jump from .NET to .NET again.C# is better suited for
the .NET framework than C++ is.

Good luck!
Maybe a wrapper for the Win32 API?
Like objects like dialog boxes..
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
If you want faster/easier development, I'd recommend using wxWidgets (previously wxWindows) for the GUI part, and just wrap around DirectX, it's not really complicated to do so.
Quote:Original post by Raeldor
I am wanting to recode a terrain generator I wrote in c# with managed directx into a c++ application.

I feel the need to asky why? Presumably your C# app already works, so why change it?

-John

- John
I believe it should be possible to code the much of the app in C++, leaving the display and framework code in C#.

Check out this site for information about using C# and C++ together: The Code Project

Quote:Original post by nife
Maybe a wrapper for the Win32 API?
YAWW?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement