• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
choffstein

Laptop to Desktop question

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a laptop that is pretty fast...2.4GHz p4, 512 MB RAM, 64MB VRAM...its nice. The issue is, the casing is really old, and the screen is literally falling apart. What I am thinking is maybe just attaching a screen to it and a mouse and keyboard and running it with the screen shut (have to find a setting where it doesn't shut off...) My issue is that it heats up reallllyyyy quickly...so I was thinking: why not just take the pieces and put them in a desktop case? I am no hardware guy...infact, I know very little besides what each component of a computer is vaguely used for...so does anybody think I should have any problems with doing this? Any special modifications I will have to make or things I will have to look for when taking it apart? Thanks!

Advertisement
thata isnt gonna work(you probably cant operate the laptop without a case, if you can what the point of putting it in a tower, it wont mount). But im certain you could find a resonable way to cool it. Maybe go buy some fans and a cheap power supply., there is always the ole' oil bath :D

My notebook heats up a good deal too after some hours of use. I don't think I would risk trying to transplant any of the hardware. I would just stick it out and like chad said, just set up some fans and get a power supply for it. Shouldn't be too bad if you use your notebook at your desk a lot.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!