Sign in to follow this  
choffstein

Laptop to Desktop question

I have a laptop that is pretty fast...2.4GHz p4, 512 MB RAM, 64MB VRAM...its nice. The issue is, the casing is really old, and the screen is literally falling apart. What I am thinking is maybe just attaching a screen to it and a mouse and keyboard and running it with the screen shut (have to find a setting where it doesn't shut off...) My issue is that it heats up reallllyyyy quickly...so I was thinking: why not just take the pieces and put them in a desktop case? I am no hardware guy...infact, I know very little besides what each component of a computer is vaguely used for...so does anybody think I should have any problems with doing this? Any special modifications I will have to make or things I will have to look for when taking it apart? Thanks!

thata isnt gonna work(you probably cant operate the laptop without a case, if you can what the point of putting it in a tower, it wont mount). But im certain you could find a resonable way to cool it. Maybe go buy some fans and a cheap power supply., there is always the ole' oil bath :D

My notebook heats up a good deal too after some hours of use. I don't think I would risk trying to transplant any of the hardware. I would just stick it out and like chad said, just set up some fans and get a power supply for it. Shouldn't be too bad if you use your notebook at your desk a lot.