Sign in to follow this  
CTar

Where does MSDN get installed?

Unfortunately I have accidentally removed all shortcuts to my MSDN Library, that came with MS Visual Studio 2K3. I have tried looking in a lot of folders, made a lot of searches, but I still can’t find the program. So could anyone that have MSDN installed check to see where their shortcut is pointing?

Quote:
Original post by CTar
Unfortunately I have accidentally removed all shortcuts to my MSDN Library, that came with MS Visual Studio 2K3. I have tried looking in a lot of folders, made a lot of searches, but I still can’t find the program. So could anyone that have MSDN installed check to see where their shortcut is pointing?

I think that is something you choose when you install it. I have it at C:\Program\MSDN

I installed it at the default location, the same as you just on my D: drive. The problem is that in the D:\Programs\MSDN folder there is no MSDN executable just a folder called 2003FEB which contain a folder called 1033 which contains a lot of files in weird formats(like .HxS) which I think is the different topics in MSDN.

Quote:
I installed it at the default location, the same as you just on my D: drive. The problem is that in the D:\Programs\MSDN folder there is no MSDN executable just a folder called 2003FEB which contain a folder called 1033 which contains a lot of files in weird formats(like .HxS) which I think is the different topics in MSDN.

You found the docs themselves, CTar.

There is usually a documentation icon in the start Menu folder for "Microsoft Developer Network" and / or the "Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003" start menu folder (I understand you killed the MSDN one, it might still exist in the VS.NET folder...).

I would try to point exactly where they are but I do not have VS.NET 2003 installed right now, just VS.NET 2005 Beta 2 (which looks like it might be slightly different, not sure).

Of course, you can also open VS.NET itself and in the Help menu should be the Documentation icon which I think opens the MSDN docs in a separate app / window thingie...

Quote:
There is usually a documentation icon in the start Menu folder for "Microsoft Developer Network" and / or the "Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003" start menu folder (I understand you killed the MSDN one, it might still exist in the VS.NET folder...)

I have looked through my whole start menu, the "Microsoft Developer Network" folder just says "Empty" and in the "Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 .NET" there are only the "Visual Studio .NET Tools" folder left, rest is gone.

I'm pretty sure I have deleted all these shortcuts to the MSDN Library, that's why I need to find out where the actual executable is.

I finally found it myself, the .NET documentation uses the same program so I just looked where it pointed("D:\Programs\Shared files\Microsoft Shared\Help\dexplore.exe /helpcol ms-help://ms.netframeworksdkv1.1"). Then I removed the command parameters, so I made a shortcut that pointed to: "D:\Programs\Shared files\Microsoft Shared\Help\dexplore.exe"

Hmm.. interesting. Of course, you could always...

Reinstall: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a3334aed-4803-4495-8817-c8637ae902dc&displaylang=en

Browse Online: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/

Quote:
Original post by jedifreeman
Hmm.. interesting. Of course, you could always...

Reinstall: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a3334aed-4803-4495-8817-c8637ae902dc&displaylang=en

Browse Online: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/

Thanks

Even though using the dexplorer.exe program seemed to work it only search topics in the DirectX 9 Documentation.

Can't some just please right-click their MSDN shortcut, then press properties(that's the name of the bottom button right?) and then just copy what is in the destination field?

Quote:
Original post by iliak
In french :
Documentation Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 =>
"C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Microsoft Shared\Help\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://ms.vscc.2003

Thanks alot, that worked.