Sign in to follow this  
derek7

why not work

Quote:
Original post by Ra
You need #include <string> to use std::string.

And std::cout doesn't take std::strings. You have to change the cout line to this:

std::cout << source.c_str() <<std::endl;

According to MSDN - assuming MSVC - error:C2679 means:

"binary 'operator' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'type' (or there is no acceptable conversion)"

This code has two binary operators: = and << std::string overloads both of them so as far as I know, this code should work. You're not using MSVC 5.0 or anything are you?

This is not you're problem but you should declare int main( ) and have it return 0 at the end.

Quote:
Original post by CTar
Quote:
Original post by Ra

And std::cout doesn't take std::strings. You have to change the cout line to this:

Yes it does.

Quote:
Original post by CTar
Quote:
Original post by Ra

It accepts std::strings. There's no need to use c_str().

Sorry, I was almost sure I have had a problem before with using std::strings and std::cout together, but then it must have been something else, or my memory is just bad.

The return value is not required. The standard declares that a main function which terminates without a return statement implicitly returns zero.

Enigma

Quote:
Original post by Enigma
The return value is not required. The standard declares that a main function which terminates without a return statement implicitly returns zero.

I'm not sure the standard actually says that. Perhaps it does for compatability with very old versions of C. Even so, I'd suggest you should just return anyway as a matter of course.

Quote:
Original post by Andrew Russell
I'm not sure the standard actually says that. Perhaps it does for compatability with very old versions of C. Even so, I'd suggest you should just return anyway as a matter of course.

Well, it's definitely in the final draft. I don't own a copy of the final standard, but the final draft states in section 3.6.1, paragraph 5:
Quote:
A return statement in main has the effect of leaving the main function (destroying any objects with automatic storage duration) and calling exit with the return value as the argument. If control reaches the end of main without encountering a return statement, the effect is that of executing

return 0;

But your suggestion is, naturally, good advice.

Enigma

Quote:
Original post by Enigma
Quote:
Original post by Andrew Russell

Well, it's definitely in the final draft. I don't own a copy of the final standard, but the final draft states in section 3.6.1, paragraph 5:
Quote:
A return statement in main has the effect of leaving the main function (destroying any objects with automatic storage duration) and calling exit with the return value as the argument. If control reaches the end of main without encountering a return statement, the effect is that of executing

return 0;

But your suggestion is, naturally, good advice.

Enigma

Hah! I stand corrected! I could have SWORN, though. I'm pretty sure I've used a version of g++ that complained about it, a few years ago.