First person fantasy rpg controls?

Started by
8 comments, last by Gyrthok 18 years, 10 months ago
I post this thread as a follow up on a discussion i had with a friend tonight. Mostly getting your thoughts on how to controlls for a First person fantasy rpg game. Restrictions. 1 No HUD or as minimal as possible( Heads up display ). 2 Playable as most proffesions you can think of. ( its high fantasy so magic and such exsits 3 No standard "hands" thats always in form of you holding stuff. 4 It has emphasis on the roleplaying part. I have no ideas what would be best to create a smooth experience. The best i can thinkof is a kind of neverwinter nights typ of controll. You run as with fps and you look around with mouse. And like mouse button 2 allowes you to interact with objects. And for magic spells you choose some seals for fightning you shoose an attack. Or some attributes. Personally i didnt like morrowinds combat system were you moved mouse to either slash or thrust and there were to manu menus and such. -Athos
-Truth is out there-
Advertisement
I think something thats sort of important in a fantasy style of design that the player can see their character in some way other than the stats menu. If you take out the hands, you should come up with some other idea to remind the player that theyre this uber powerful wizard. I think being able to see yoru character also helps the player to start developing its personality. I actually like RE4's camera position. Maybe a move the camera so its looking over the shoulder of your character.
Oh, it bothers me, when you choose to interact with some lever or something, and only the object moves. Animating the character to pull the lever helps make the character seem more real.
For me, i dont like when it says "Picked up Tonic". I like to see the character pick up the tonic and put it somewhere in their baggage.. which would probably be limit loot space. Which would create realitic loot, instead of retarded shit like "Broken Owl Eggs". The loot must also have some sort of purpose.
I think thats sort of the thing you want to include in a game where are actually roleplaying.
Of course, thats alot of animations, but if you're focusing on the character development instead of the grinding element (which is what destroys RP in WoW/etc), it would be worth taking the time to do them.

But as far as controls, yeah, right click objects work good. maybe put a sims style options menu around the object for different commands/macros
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
I recommend Arx Fatalis and System Shock 2 as case studies for FP-RPG interfaces, other than Morrowind. I tend to agree with Garmichael as well, far, FAR to many FPS games strip the player of substance within a gameworld, and personally i loved being able to dress/customize my characters in Daggerfall/Morrowind. ;D
Vampire: Bloodlines? (Haven't played the first game, so dunno how the controls worked there)
I had an idea about a GUI where you would have to use the NumPad to fight and interact with things, but it also required to have hands visible on screen. Not exactly what you're asking for, then...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
yea i know. Dont even know if what iam asking for i possible.
i have some discussion also with making a no number solution for rpg too.
So what iwanted was some kind of no number no real hud sulution for the game.
and shure you shold eb able to custimaze your self. But you would only be able to see it in mirrors and such. Making the rolplaying firstperson instead of 3rd person. Making it more like a session of Dungeons and dragon like.

hope folks can read that since it got a bit mezzy.

-Athos
-Truth is out there-
Just to be sure, there:

You HAVE played more RPG than DnD, right? You HAVE learned about the power of numbers? And have noted that people in these RPG are simply trying to get über gear before too long, right? Usually, most GM are simply providing cannonfodder for the players, right? there isn't much for more political RPG. The only really political action RPG I know of, is AMbre, based off Zelazny's Ambre's Princes' saga. It requires you to TALK your way through things, and summoning things from another world is simply done through hwo detailed your description is. If you don't want graphic interpretation of your character, and no number for the player to see, then provide a chat room. this will be as close as anything you'll be able to do to roleplaying...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
Fournicolas
Yes i played other games. And no i dont have same belifes as you. You seem to belive that there is only numbers, ubergear and such.
I havnt said once that i want a massiv multiplayer online game with competetiv gameplay. What i am trying to do is gather information to make an actual roleplaying game. If you dont like it fine.

I want the player to be its character. I want the player to make choises.
And once again I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE A GAME THAT PLEASE EVERYONE.

And there would be a representation ofyou ingame if you look in the mirror you would see your self. Just as costumable as any other 3rd person mmorpg game.

And for the last time I AM LOOKING FOR ALTERNETIV GAMEPLAY TO "INDUSTRIAL STANDARD RP" GAMES.

-Athos
-Truth is out there-
If there is no HUD I suggest that

a) Make the controls good, basic and make sure the game comes with a button guide.

b)when the character is looking in their pack at their items have them actually look in the bag, look at the items, and have them move their hands across the items (choosing them) than when they are over the right item have it go in their hand if it is them choosing em or have them put it back down if its not what they want.

c) make the combat intuitive and maybe allow a button that has your character talk out loud, saying if he/she is hurt like "Ugh, I am slightly injured" or "Someone help, I am injured critically" You want them to know if they are injured so they won't make stupid risks.

d) Maybe have buttons applied to saying yes/no/more info/hello/bye and make sure conversations lead to asking a question or a firm conclusion.

A few ideas
I think that might work out better if you implmented it in a Tribes/Planetside voice macro system, V-D-M "Destroy Their Medical Terminals!". XD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement