Sign in to follow this  
AcePilot

1D texture

Lately I have been trying to find out how to do cel-shading on a 3D scene... and in most tutorials, i have found the common word "1D texture map". Can anyone explain to me what a 1D texture map is and maybe even why its used? help would be appreciated

How much do you know about Dimensions? 3D is obviously Height Width and Depth. 2D is only Height and Width. 1D simply removes one of those dimensions, so you're left with only Height or Width. In texture form this would be represented as a single row of pixels. (I guess you could also theoretically do a 0D texture, which would be a single pixel, but what good would that be?)

In the case of Cell shading, the texture is simply used to control the sharp shading jumps. You find the amount of light a certain area should be receiving and map that to the U texture coordinate. (That's a really shoddy explanation, but it's the best I can come up with at the moment.)

A 1D texture map is simply a texture map that is N pixels wide and 1 pixel tall. It is used to map the diffuse reflection component to a color. Briefly, the value of L dot N is 0 to 1 (clamping negative values to 0), so you use that value directly as a texel coordinate in the texture. Since only one coordinate is used (u), it is called a 1D texture map.

This GameDev article explains it pretty clearly: Cel-Shading