need a little help with texture

Started by
10 comments, last by videodragon20032003 18 years, 10 months ago
i just made a seamless texture and i'm not very good at pointing out the small mistakes in a texture so could any of you guys give me any pointers so that i could improve the quality of this wood texture? you have to go to the url to view the image. http://www.freewebs.com/skyfire_hideout/woodr.jpg
Advertisement
Linked:
Texture

Ok...I personally think it looks more like marble/agate than wood. Wood has more "regular" streaks in it and some knots and stuff.[smile]
η β π
Wood textures are hard to make. Do you have a digital camera? I would take a picture of wood and just go from there.
no brvids, i don't have a digital camera. does anyone know where you can get a inexpensive digital camera?
I probably have a picture of wood somewhere I could send you if you like. But there are probably a bunch of free ones you could download on the internet.
The cheapest digital camera you'll ever find
oke the key is to look at wood and start from there making wood is not easy but not impossible get a good sample of wood look at it and take these steps

1- open a new project backround blank
2- open a new layer get a big brush change opacity to 30-35% use a light color wich you want to be on the wood paint it with that
2- staget a little darker shade (open new layer) paint that with the bursh
3- do the same again but with darker shade
4- edit a brush so it has dots fill every where the dots with a shade darker then all (opacity 100% open a new layer)
5- do the same to a new layer but with a color lighter then all
7- take the smudge tool and smudge the dots so they are now lines
8- mess around with the blender and opacity untill you like what you get dont use filtes
There's all kinds of different woods, but usually there is a little less "action" going on in the texture. The lines are longer and more sweeping. And the colors are a little more golden and brownish. Messing with saturation, midtone, and shadow levels can really help tweak the colors.

I took a tiny 10% or so chunk from the middle of your original texture and based this texture off of it.

Basic process in Photoshop:
- I started off with a layer filled with a golden yellow.
- I pasted the chunk from your texture into a new layer on top. Made it grayscale, abstracted it with the Dust&Scratches filter.
- Created a new layer on top filled with a warm brown, screened and flattened this layer onto the gray texture below.
- Multiplied and flattened the now brown texture layer onto the gold layer below it.
- When doing Blending Changes on Layers, try different ones until you find the one that looks best.
- Set foreground/background colors to black/white. Created new layer with rendered clouds.
- Used Add Noise filter to create speckled field. Used Motion Blur fliter to create vertical wood grain texture. Used Sharpen More filter. Edit>Tranform>Scaled layer to 110%. Selected All and Cropped image. Blending Changed layer to Soft Light on the wood texture below.
- Flattened image and used Offset filter to create seamless tile.

This is all very simplified, and I tweaked colors, contrast, and the layer blending opacity percentages continuously throughout the process.

Here's the texture tiled up 2x2. Eh. Certainly not the greatest and kinda repetitive, but getting there, I think. Looks kinda woody, albeit a cartoon version of wood.

Hope this is helpful.

[Edited by - das otto on June 7, 2005 9:44:06 AM]
-----
it dosent look good it looks like somethings carved in to the wood
This seems interesting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement