• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

software render

This topic is 4741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

there are 3 choice of video render in CS, Software, D3D and OpenGL. I'm asking wt is that software render? and how can i use it in my project?

Advertisement
I believe the software render is totally involving software(not using hardware like OpenGL and DirectX).

You would have to write your own Software routines me thinks to use it in your project.

Quote:
Original post by TimChan
thanks for reply.
so, how to write one?
By programming.

Ask a general question, expect a general answer. [smile]

Here's one place to start. Software rendering is a pretty big topic and you have to implement all the details and data structures yourself; vertex, matrices, polygons, lights, rasterizing, clipping etc... You can do this simply (most gui api's have a drawPolygon() function that can provide the minimum rasterization capability) or as complex as you wish (there's an open source project to implement a software renderer with pixel shading capbailities, I don't remember the name though). Have fun, and good luck!

Oh, and www.flipcode.com has alot of resources for this as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!