Hello World

Started by
5 comments, last by Woodlander 18 years, 10 months ago
For lack of a better topic name hehe. I've actually been trying to get into Game Development for pretty much almost a year now, but not with the best of results. I don't mind learning a Language, but some of the concepts of Development are overwhelming me, but probably just because I don't know C++ well enough. I figure the first game I'll try to make is a Pong Remake. I've read countless "Game Development for Beginners" but they just don't seem to work for me. Step 1 would be to get a Compiler right? I've tried Bloodsheddev in te past, but it went haywire on me. I'll try it again anyways, but be prepared for questions if I can't get it working right hehe. What I'd like to know about is your opinions on Game Engines. Obviously the types of games I should be aiming to create aren't anywhere near that category yet, but it'd be nice to have a bit of an overview. Also if I'm going to use an engine I may as well get a good grip on it before actually starting to make some real games on it. Anyways, any tips and pointers for me? I've visited this site a few times before, but I never really got the courage up to do much, other than DL and try out some of the Contest Games eheh. Hello World =)
Advertisement
Try Dev-C++ again, or save up for a new Microsoft compiler. They're the best IMHO.

I'm having difficulties with game development too, and I'm seriously considering packing it in and going back to "ordinary" programming. But don't let that put you off, I'm working on a Pong remake just now as well.

C++ is the way to go, in my opinion, because it's industry standard. Either that or C. You'll also need to learn a basic games library after you've done text based stuff, try Allegro or SDL (the one I'm using).

More advanced topics require OpenGL or DirectX for things such as 3D graphics.

But in the meantime, try this to help you get started. Remember there are plenty of people here who can answer your questions, don't be afraid to ask :). I'd say, collectively, GameDev users know everything there is to know about programming and games development.

Hope to help,

ukdeveloper.
yep, I never got bloodshed / dev to work either. the microsoft compilers are the best, and you can order the beta 2 free. It has some issues, but I'm using it. and I all the bugs so far have just been with things not popping up after i type class:: etc.

before you start game development, make sure you understand the basics, such as:

if statements
loop
functions
structs / classes
www.stickskate.com -> check it out, some gnarly stick skating movies
Can you create a Hello World program using Dev-C++? If this compiles, you're on a good track:

#include <iostream>int main(){    std::cout << "Sup World!  You down with the hommies tonight?" << std::endl;    std::cin.get();    return 0;}

From there, you can learn console input and output and eventually come up with a Tic Tac Toe clone or a text-based RPG. If you're too impatient and are a master at learning new languages, you could also jump to using SDL or Allegro like ukdeveloper said. In any case, good luck!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I've programmed in BASIC before using Qbasic. I had some decent text based RPGs in that. Thats pretty much as far as I've gotten though. I'd get Visual C++ 2003, but I can't get it with Flashget, so I'll have to wait until i can free up a night to DL it. Man 56kbps is pretty useless hehe.

So what exactly is a game library? The term is a little hazy to me.
Quote:Original post by Woodlander
So what exactly is a game library? The term is a little hazy to me.

The term is a little hazy in general.

A game engine is code that runs all aspects of gaming. The bare minimum is Input, gamestate mangement and display. A general subset of what a game engine performs is physics, scene and gamestate management, display, input, sound and to a lesser extend networking.

A game library is code that performs one or more(or all) of the aspects of a game engine.
Hrm, after doing a bit of reading up, would a library be explained as a collection of algorithms?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement