Need Advice. Combat System for Fantasy Action Game

Started by
9 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi. Andrew York here. Im working on a game called the Wars of Solen. Its a Fantasy Warfair Action Game. But theres just one thing im stumped on. Its the combat system. what I mean by combat system is swinging swords, pole arms etc, ya know doing combat in a Action Setting. This is what I have so far W = forward A = Left Strafe (Or turn) D = Right strafe (Or turn) S = Move Back Space Bar = Jump Then theres the mouse for turning your character.. Left Mouse Button for attack and Right mouse button for a toggle kind of button This is where im stuck.. ive only got one button for attack.. so what that means is all through the game you press left mouse click (Attack) over and over again.. mayby with some fancy moves.. like Strafe Left + Attack = Different style Attack But that seems so boring and done befor. But im wracking my brains and cant think of a better combat system Brain Storming I can think of all sorts of ways I want the player to attack and perform in battle such as (With a Sword or Bladed Weapon) Parry Shield Block Side Swing Downward Chop forward Thrust Plus Skilled Attacks such as Head Shot Disarm Crippling Blow One Interestng Idea ive had is to do a kind of rock paper sisors with combat but I dont know how well it would work Such as Side Swing Chop Thrust Side Swing Beats Thrust Thrust Beats Chop Chop Beats Side Swing Swing to swing = parry etc Or something like that.. so during the combat you would always have to stratagize your 3 combat moves But thats just one idea.. Anyway Im wondering if any one has any idea's or knows of a game that is Fantasy Action that shows a good system for Combat.. I know Zelda 64 is nice becous it has a Z Target button.. But in Wars of Solen you will be battling masses of Units.. so im not quite sure how to go about it. Any Help or insight would be greatly appreciated thank you
Advertisement
my thoughts:

Too much input and too little time to evaluate and act may not be a good design. Giving the player less than 1 sec to evaluate and use among 10-15 options for blocking, attacking will probably frustrate the player. Adding multiple enemies to evaluate at the same time only makes it worse.

fighting games have complex controls (button mashing) because the player is focused on 1 opponent at a time. strategy games have more opponents to fight at the same time but the controls are simple. Turn based (non realtime) games can have massive opponents and options because the player has more time to evaluate and make an intelligent choice. shooting games can also have many opponents but the controls are also simple like lining up a crosshair and firing.

In an online setting, lag also comes to play. having complex actions in combat may cause a lot of player deaths due to lag. This may frustrate the players.

---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Ever play ONI? I think thats a great example of what you're looking for except that they use guns instead of swords/ect. But the hand to hand combat is similar. Its largely 1 button mashing but you have combos you can do between kicking, squating, jumping, punching ect.
C_C(Enter witty/insightful/profound remark here...)
Thanks for your input.. Both of you.. Ill check out that ONI game real soon.
Ah oni, such a neat little game. Lots of potential but the execution was lacking. I still liked it.

I suggest you look ad Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy.

Their lightsabre fighting system is fantastic in my opinion and both have fairly simple addictively fun combat systems. I recommend trying the demos if you hav't played them albeit they are 3rd person.

The player uses the l key to select between 1 or 3 stances for certain combat situations. There is a blue quick stance, good for fighting many people at once and blocking lots of blaster fire. The yellow medium stance is a little slower and more powerful. During your swings you become vulnerable to fire or quick attacks but you do more damage and others with lightsabers have a chance to sneak a quick shot on you but have a harder time blocking. The red stance is very slow, swings take 2 seconds but are almost impossible to block and do lots of damage. The problem is, duyring the swing you can be shot, or a quick fighter could lunge in at you while your blade is still above your head.

Besides the three stances, there was a variety of moves you could do. In any stance, moving forward while swinging would let you slash down. moving backwards and swinging was kindof a defensive parry swing. pressing left or right just as you swing would determine which direction you swung across in. For duels, this was very important. In the quickest stance (and also in medium i think) moving left then changing directions to right very quickly would cause your character to spin around and swing which was useful for fighting people around you. Moves varied if you were in the air, etc.

I really really enjoyed the combat system in that game. there were guns too but I can't think of any way that the lightsaber combat could have been better.

I'm going to go play it now :)

Anyway, the ideas you mentioned sound similar to this and are defintely a good base for a fun sword combat game. Maybe you could implement a similar stance system that makes sense for medieval weaponry. A player could switch between defensive, offensive, and duel modes would each make your moves more and more powerful and you more vulnerable. And It would be neet to see the right mouse button as a seperate modifier maybe for the range of your weapon so pressing it right before swinging would cause your character to reach out farther allowing you to jab at a character with a longer weapon.

Just my thoughts. keep going, be creative, and keep it intuitive
For a first-person combat system that uses only the mouse and one button, check out this neat little flash game. It takes some getting used to, but it's simple and direct. The block took me the longest to figure out, but you could probably bind a key to it to make it more intuitive.
Ingenious. It's great to see combat systems that are more complex than the drab point click and wait pseudo-real time turn based systems that are put out nowadays.

The key, in any control system, is to make sure that actions are intuitive. Simplify possible actions into different categories, such as offense and defense. Think about what the user will want to do in a given situation, and think of what the control system should do in what context. Personally, I think that it would be interesting to see a game where mouse movements could influence, even if slightly, the direction in which your melee weapons swing, or where your hits land. Give users some control.

Sample system: Left mouse is attack. Right mouse is defend. Depending on the weapon's equiped, defend is either parrying or blocking. Attack varies with weapons as well. The user can maneuver, dodge, jump, and evade while still maintaining control over fighting. Like Diablo II with jumping - if you're thinking about a third person RPG setting.

Don't be afraid to think outside of the box.
::FDL::The world will never be the same
It's probably safe to assume the player has a wheel mouse these days... I don't see any being sold without one, so maybe you want to incorporate that as a pseudo-analog input. Scroll up/down at various speeds could accomplish numerous controls. If you're fighting with a sword they could be set to swing in different directions at different speeds, while the left button could be a simple thrust. Since the player is on the WSAD keys to move anyways, you could add a second layer of moves to all of the mouse combinations if they chose to shift+click. The stance idea is also good; if you can toggle in and out of stances quickly and intuitively then it could become ingrained into a fight very nicely.
Die by the sword had a nice control system, but it didn't work well for more than a few enemies at a time.
I hate signatures.
I liked the idea of the mouse scroll system. would give the player easy access to more fighting options.. die by the sword was so tricky for me to use.. swinging your sword like that.. I think the best fighting game ive seen with swords is jedi knight jedi academy. which does have a good system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement