DirectX vs OpenGL

Started by
13 comments, last by Saruman 18 years, 10 months ago
i would like to create my own 3D engine for FPS. i just want to know DirectX is more easy to learn or opengl. as i know opengl do not support sound and input someone said that if use opengl can plug with directX sound and input is that true?
Advertisement
Warning: These sort of threads get locked at random and without warning, because this discussion has been had to death.

IBTL: I'd say OpenGL, but that's just my opinion. Others will disagree.
Quote:Original post by ukdeveloper
Warning: These sort of threads get locked at random and without warning, because this discussion has been had to death.

IBTL: I'd say OpenGL, but that's just my opinion. Others will disagree.

thx u to inform me i'm new here!
In terms of easier to learn, id say OpenGL, but DirectX is more organized.
These are graphics libraries, meaning that they will only help you put stuff
on the screen (like transformations and loading meshes etc). So an FPS can
be created with both libraries, its your choice.

P.S. you can use OpenGL with DirectInput
If you are just learning and want all of the features, i.e. sound, input, graphics etc., I'd say learn DirectX as all of the subsystems work in a similar way.
If you just want to make a 3D engine, then either will do. Personally, I learned C++ from the start rather than learning C first and so DirectX felt more natural for me. OpenGL just didn't seem to flow, but since I've been learning C, i.e. non-OOP, OpenGL is starting to make more sense.
Basically, if you are an OO programmer, I'd suggest learning DirectX otherwise I'd say go with OpenGL as I think it would be easier.
Either way, both will do what you are looking for and I'd suggest at least having a go with both and deciding for yourself which one you are more comfortable with.
If you go with OpenGL, you could use DirectX for sound/music etc., but you've got other options including things like OpenAL.

Hope this helps,

PhilHalf
OK, perhaps I was a bit harsh. Apologies.

I'd still say OpenGL, because:

a) It's got an easier syntax.
b) It's cross platform
c) It's got more features (debatable).

Hope that helps.
Asking "DirectX vs OpenGL?" is much like asking "Apples or Oranges?" That is, until you've tried both you'll never really know which you like more so just pick one, try it, and if you like it keep eating them and maybe some other day you can try the other.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

ukdeveloper was right. If you had read the rules for the forums on GDNet, you would have seen that threads like these are not allowed since they often end up in religious wars.

But just for your info. None is better than the other. Both have their strengths and weakneses. So pick the one that appeals to you the most.

// Allmight
-------------------------------------------------Founder and DirectorAllSoft Studios
Go with OpenGL. Then your buddies on Linux and Mac will be able to run your stuff.

Plus - You will be primed for future platforms like the Playstation 3. Eventually OpenGL will be the standard 3d api, like TCP/IP is for networking....

(Just kidding above - I strongly doubt there will be any standard in the near future, although it sure would be nice)
Quote:Original post by albertkhor

as i know opengl do not support sound and input someone said that if use opengl can plug with directX sound and input is that true?

well you could also use sdl, which is intended to be used together with opengl for 3d grafics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement