DirectX vs OpenGL

Started by
13 comments, last by Saruman 18 years, 10 months ago
I'd say that OpenGL is easier to learn than Direct3D.
Advertisement
- It is wrong to ask this type of question (because you won't get an answer)
- It is wrong to recommend to a newb without giving tips/links to books, tuts etc.
- It is wrong to set too high goals (newb want to make 3d engine - impossible).
- It is wrong to learn only one of many choices, you should learn both
- It is wrong to ask this type of question (you should find out yourself), by that I mean ... start with one of them .. play around ... try next ... play around ... then I guess the choice will come by itself.

dx tuts
www.andypike.com - The best explanation ever, but the download to source doesn't work .. but I have them, others too maybe.
www.drunkenhyena.com/ <- maybe down???
www.toymaker.info/Games/index.html
http://triplebuffer.devmaster.net/tutorials.php
www.ultimategameprogramming.com/index2.php

opengl + dx
www.morrowland.com/apron/tut_gl.php
www.codesampler.com/

opengl
http://nehe.gamedev.net/ <- probably the best place for opengl
Quote:- It is wrong to set too high goals (newb want to make 3d engine - impossible).
- It is wrong to learn only one of many choices, you should learn both

^^ what exactly would you consider a newb?
Anyone who hasn't made some significantly simpler programs first.
Quote:Original post by AzCoder
Plus - You will be primed for future platforms like the Playstation 3. Eventually OpenGL will be the standard 3d api, like TCP/IP is for networking....

Actually OGL pretty much was the standard until Microsoft decided to jump into the ring. Although I know your quote was in jest, I do highly doubt that just because the PS3 uses OGL it would become standard, considering the PC, XBox, XBox360 all use a subset DirectX.

To the original poster, both APIs are great and serve their purpose. Quite honestly I would not want to use DirectX while coding procedural C and I would not want to use OpenGL while coding in OOP C++. Please note those are my opinions and not some standard. The vast majority of games on PCs are using DirectX, but the vast majority of graphics applications are using OpenGL as the main renderer. Just pick one, go through some tutorials, and make a game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement