Sign in to follow this  
HIPOPO

access denied

I am programming in C++ DirectX 8.0, and I have been woundering how to change access to a program. How would I go about denying access to a file running on my computer. For example, if I had a game, and I wanted to deny access to it with a hack preventer program so no forien programs could access it. Also I would like to know how to undo this while the program is running incase I need to. I think I saw something about this earlier on msdn, but I couldn't find it again. Btw, I don't want to use another program, I want to know how to do it myself. Thanks again for any help.

What you're saying (only allowing certain programs access) isn't possible. The Windows security model works on the granularity of the user. You can deny some users access to a file, but since you'd probably be running the program on the same user as created the file, you can't exactly deny that user access.

What you can do is encrypt the files with an algorithm that only your application knows. Then nobody else can decrypt it, but your application can.

Of course, smart people can also figure out how to decrypt it .

Disabling access to the file for any foreign program would imply denying access for the user too, making it impossible to delete the file for example and aiding the protection of spyware and viruses.
Microsoft would thus be forced to add a way to "override" the protection, the only end result being yet another layer of complexity in the arms race between software and users.